How do you spoil your chickens?

Pics
IMG_0267.JPG
My garden has become their personal smorgasbord.
Rose petals - they go nutso for. Decimate the fallen pears.
Use our blueberry bushes & sunflowers as piñatas.
They hang out on our lawn chairs. And they've taken over the dog's bed

At what age is it okay to give treats? I read somewhere that bread is an okay treat and my one week four day old lovely lil fluffs growing feathers love bread. Is it okay to try raisens yet or any suggestions or should I wait til they are a little older?

Since I am in central Florida and it is summer, it is really hot so I give my girls frozen mixed berries everyday. I don't even thaw them out, they come running when they see me come out with their tray of fruit. They absolutely love it.

My chickens are hilarious! The new favorite is yogurt, they will eat it from a spoon and one of them gets it all over her face! Blueberries, grapes, and watermelon are another favorite.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 6
Oh boy haha. Every day we take them some sort of fresh treat even though they free range. Yesterday it was watermelon rinds and some rice. I also raise feeder insects for my reptiles and my chickens LOVE those. We grow a huge garden and the birds love it, they really like if we throw them fresh picked corn off the stalks.

Also we put out the hose to make mud puddles on very hot days that they all stand in. The ducks love that of course too. And since my neighbors don't like crowing, I bring all my roosters in the house every night to sleep in a play pen so they don't crow early. Then I take them out mid morning. Now that is some serious dedication.

Our chickens go CRAZY for SCOBY treats - I brew/ferment kombucha and SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) is the 'mushroom' 'mother'. I chop up bite size pieces and they go nuts. Like a lot of others have mentioned, ours also love blueberries, mealworms and pasta! Being in Florida, we'll also give them frozen fruit. I'll often get a watermelon (usually a smaller one) or cantaloupe (or any melon that's on sale) and freeze it. Then on stupid hot days I get it out, cut it in half (if it's a smaller one, otherwise I cut it before freezing) and put it out in the yard for them. It keeps them entertained and cools them off. They get a lot of our leftovers as treats really. Rice is another favorite.
However, the best treat of all seems to be when they manage to find a newly planted pot of herbs or flowers that they can hop into and destroy by eating whatever is green and then digging in the soft dirt. :wee
IMG_20170723_172336.jpg
This pot had newly planted marigolds in it until Molly discovered it. LOL
1211161346.jpg
Annie LOVES to "help" in the garden.

Attachments

• IMG_20170701_102411.jpg
    IMG_20170701_102411.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom