How do you sterilize your equipment?

Anna_MN

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 4, 2011
Princeton, MN
I have a bunch of waterers and feeders that I need to sterilize before the chicks get here. How do you clean and sterilize your equipment? I have a mixture of plastic and galvanized steel

soap and water, good enough for my dishes, good enough for chicks.

Chickens do not need sterile or even clean environment to thrive.

soap and water, good enough for my dishes, good enough for chicks.

Chickens do not need sterile or even clean environment to thrive.

Agreed. I don't even use soap and water. Just hose it out. Sometimes I think TOO clean is more detrimental than exposure to germs. How else are they to build up an immunity?

If I feel a need to do anything more that water (like, say, if I've had a rough year with disease, or ended up with used equipment for whatever reason) I use bleach. It'll work on either of those materials; just watch your clothes and do it outside if you like your carpets. Be sure to rinse thoroughly. A nice dry cycle in the sun is good, too, sunlight kills a lot of things (but often isn't readily available in February).

Thanks for the advice. I really want to sterilize my equipment since I will be using them for chicks and newborn chicks don't have an immune system at all yet- better safe, than sorry.

Your decision, obviously. I've raised chicks for years and never had a problem. By exposing them, it helps to build an immunity. Not trying to be contradictory, just sharing my experience. I guess if your equipment has been used by sick chickens, I can understand at least using soap and water. If the chickens that used it previously were healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. Again, that's just my opinion...

Last edited:
I respect everyone's opinion, so no worries
smile.png
I can see what you are saying about just making sure it is clean. I got the equipment from my grandfather's barn and it hasn't been used in 30 or more years, so that's why I want to clean it pretty well. The barn was home to many different birds, rodents, raccoons, feral cats, and so on. Normally I just hose everything off, but this seemed like a special occasion that needed a little more attention.

Ooohh, can I come dig around in Grandpa's barn too? I love places like that, just full of treasures!

I'm normally with the just hose it off crowd, but in that case I might also give it a bleach rinse. Cause you really don't know who lived or died in/on the equipment. I think it's like ten to one bleach to water and be sure you rinse well.

For equipment for the brooder, I soak everything in a strong bleach solution.

I fill the brooder with the bleach water and everything is dumped into that to soak. After it is rinsed, I expose it to sunlight. The bleach will all evaporate off. Don't put chicks in it until you can't smell bleach any more.

Back
Top Bottom