How Do You Stop a Hen From Crowing?

I am a new chicken owner as of 2014, I intentionally didn't pick any male chicks. I'm glad I live in the country as the 2 Welsummer chicks I picked out BOTH CROW!! They look just like a picture of a Welsummer hen.

Help! These young "hens" are crowing!!! Are they really hens? No eggs yet, they are just under 20 weeks. I can't have roosters and all three of these "girls" are crowing!!! And the black frizzle is starting to get a bit aggressive with the other 2 birds.... Any thoughts out there???!!!

These are roosters in the last post....This thread is good for a laugh...Been raising chickens for sixty five years...Traveled in far away places ...Never actually seen nor heard a female chicken crow....Have read about it here and other places......Mistaken identification and pure bullcrap explains a lot of it....Some true of course..These exceptions make life really interesting.......

These are roosters in the last post....This thread is good for a laugh...Been raising chickens for sixty five years...Traveled in far away places ...Never actually seen nor heard a female chicken crow....Have read about it here and other places......Mistaken identification and pure bullcrap explains a lot of it....Some true  of course..These exceptions make life really interesting.......

I have owned a game hen that crowed. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. I didn't own a rooster when she started. After I got a rooster she stopped the crowing, figured out what those eggs she had been laying were for and went broody!

When a hen crows it is an imbalance of hormones most likely due to some sort of infection in her reproductive glands. This damage can be a long term problem or a life long defect. Vitamins for chickens and calcium seem to help.

I now have two hens that crow. Menopause maybe? Both recently started laying everyday then suddenly stopped one day. One even went broody after three years of never sitting on eggs. It's hard to tell if they're "spent" or not because it's pretty hot here and egg production is pretty unreliable. They're also about the same age. Luckily my hens are late sleepers so no wake up calls yet....

Back
Top Bottom