How do you stop chickens from brooding?

joanne

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
We have 6 chickens and no roosters, most of the day they are allowed the run of the property (though they go in the run when no one is around to protect from stray cats.)
We have had the chickens for 4 weeks with no major problems, but now we have one that doesnt want to leave her roost.
We remove any eggs from under her and put her out and watch her eat, drink and scratch so dont think she is ill.
What can we do so that she will stop spending all day inside inbed?
hmm.png
Very new to having chickens so hope this question isnt too stupid but the two books I have only talk about starting molt wich seems as though is only ment for battery chickens not backyard free range most of time.

Well...it's hard (IMO) to break a broody. Getting the eggs away as soon as they are laid is a good thing. Also not leaving a laying/nesting box in there so they don't have as comfy as a spot. Granted, I'll still have my cochins (and silkies when I had them) laying on sawdust on the floor within nothing under them. hehe

Some of them are hopelessly broody. You can try anything to an elevated wire cage to (some people say) ice under them. I've never tried any of those things, though. Honestly, when I want a baby, it's hard to deter me so I have a hard time telling a broody hen NO!
lau.gif

Boy, I could use that same answer too! It seems like such a waste of time and not as many eggs! I have two that are going on a month of broody now!
he.gif

To break a broody you must elevate her from sitting in the nest box,by placing in a wire broody cage with feed and water but most importantly to get air flow under her.Another method is a bag of ice cube in the nest box she is using:eek: Would you like to sit on ice cubes:eek: I don't think so.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have moved mine off the nest and blocked her from getting to it as often as possible. This last time I put her in a cage for 3 days and that stopped her. The first time of just moving her took 7 days . Be persistant and she will eventually give up. It is very stressfull for both her and you. Good Luck!

Whenever I get a broody hen, I put her in a wire cage inside the big run so she can be with the others,but they can't bother her. I give her food and water and put her on the roost at night inside the coop.. Then each morning put her in the cage. Sometimes I let her run around for a while in the pen to dust. Usually takes about 4-5 days to break them up. Good luck.. Merry

Man I wish i had one broody hen.Lol,not one of my 35 babys will stay on.RR,Black sexlink,Red sexys,Bard babys alittle to young.Just picked up 9 silkies hoping that they will go broody,I know they will!Good luck with ya problem.lol:p

Back
Top Bottom