How do you stop feather eating/ pecking?

Well I watched Bertha pluck a feather out of Goliath's butt today & gobble it up. He didn't even flinch when she did it. His butt still looks pretty fluffy, so I'm hoping it was just jealousy since the other hens were all out & he was trying to get out with them. I feel like I'm being desperately optimistic here though. I don't know what is more cruel though- letting her live out her years alone, or just butchering her and being done with it. She obviously can't stop pecking. And bullying. Bertha and Goliath will be allowed out to free range with the others this weekend. If she can't play nice, then I think I've pretty much exhausted all other options. I don't want her to spend the winter alone, but she doesn't seem to mind being alone. I just don't know what else to do with her.
1f615.png

Sometimes you just get a bad hen. Killing is really the kindest option. I know it seems harsh, but chickens are meant to live in flocks, not caged away alone.

Well I watched Bertha pluck a feather out of Goliath's butt today & gobble it up. He didn't even flinch when she did it. His butt still looks pretty fluffy, so I'm hoping it was just jealousy since the other hens were all out & he was trying to get out with them. I feel like I'm being desperately optimistic here though. I don't know what is more cruel though- letting her live out her years alone, or just butchering her and being done with it. She obviously can't stop pecking. And bullying. Bertha and Goliath will be allowed out to free range with the others this weekend. If she can't play nice, then I think I've pretty much exhausted all other options. I don't want her to spend the winter alone, but she doesn't seem to mind being alone. I just don't know what else to do with her.
1f615.png

sometimes i think my cochin rooster prefers to be alone. i think he likes hens well enough but he seems happy either way

Sometimes you just get a bad hen. Killing is really the kindest option. I know it seems harsh, but chickens are meant to live in flocks, not caged away alone.

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. It makes me so sad though because we rescued her & she finally looks so healthy. She's finally not terrified of people & I was so proud. I just can't keep her separate or let her terrorize the other chickens. I think she's pretty old & I'm pretty sure at this point, there's no changing her. I just hate to give up on her after all of this, ya know? She's running out of second chances though.
1f62a.png

My experience is they feather pluck for 3 reasons....

1. Boredom.. being confined to a coop or run which is either too small or does not have enough stuff in it to stimulate their natural behaviours.. such as dust bathing. pecking at stuff, scratching in dirt etc.

2. Incorrect feed.. lack of protein or nutrients in the diet.. or just lack of enough food.

3. Bullying (but here the bully tends to pluck out the other birds feathers and not actually eat them).

My advice...

That pen with the 2 chickens in the photo seems way too small.. and there is no dirt floor.

a. Get them out free ranging in the daytime... they will be so busy pecking around to bugs and stuff they won't think about plucking feathers.

b. Build them a bigger coop and run.. with a dirt or litter floor, not wire.

c. Give them green to peck at in the coop... hand up a cabbage, etc...

d. Add more protein to the diet.

I have noticed the only time my chickens feather pluck is when they have to be confined to the coop for more than a week, if, for example, there is bad weather or I am on holiday. Once they get to free range again the behaviour stops.

Good luck.

So one of my poor frizzles was being "pecked on" leaving his backend bare, I had trouble crocheting a sweater or saddle and it seamed stiff so instead since he's a guy I decided to be cooler and make a sweatshirt. I cut the sleeve of an old sweatshirt and cut wingelling slots. I also added some little holes for a draw string around the neck. He seams to be adjusting and now he's covered and protected with full mobility. And looks pretty sweet in his new swag! Check out my Scraggles the frizzle.

Try the pinless peepers before you cull Bertha for good. They work when all else fails.

I did. I just took them off of her on Sunday. She was still attacking the others even with them on. I posted photos & videos a couple of days ago.

My experience is they feather pluck for 3 reasons....

1.   Boredom.. being confined to a coop or run which is either too small or does not have enough stuff in it to stimulate their natural behaviours.. such as dust bathing. pecking at stuff, scratching in dirt etc.

2.  Incorrect feed.. lack of protein or nutrients in the diet.. or just lack of enough food.

3.  Bullying (but here the bully tends to pluck out the other birds feathers and not actually eat them).

My advice...

That pen with the 2 chickens in the photo seems way too small.. and there is no dirt floor.

a.  Get them out free ranging in the daytime... they will be so busy pecking around to bugs and stuff they won't think about plucking feathers.

b.  Build them a bigger coop and run.. with a dirt or litter floor, not wire.

c.  Give them green to peck at in the coop... hand up a cabbage, etc...

d.  Add more protein to the diet.

I have noticed the only time my chickens feather pluck is when they have to be confined to the coop for more than a week, if, for example, there is bad weather or I am on holiday.  Once they get to free range again the behaviour stops. 

Good luck. 

I'm not trying to be rude, but I've addressed all of these points in the numerous posts I've made in this thread. What you can see in the picture is less than half of that coop, but I agree- I still think it is small. When we got it Percy, Bertha, & another hen lived in it. The enclosed end is big enough for two hens to sleep & nest in very comfortably. The door is opened by 9am every single day- most of the time earlier- and is only closed after they go in (on their own) at dusk. They have numerous kinds of chicken food they can choose from. They get fresh fruits & vegetables almost daily due to the fact that my in laws never eat out. They get mealworms & oat treats. They have several acres to free range on. These two were adults when I got them, and not well cared for. I have done loads of research & tried everything that I have come across so far. I do not want my other chickens to learn this behavior. I'm lucky they haven't so far. Since she was broody for a good bit of the summer, we thought maybe getting her a rooster would A) put her in her place & B) we would let her hatch an egg & were hoping that it'd keep her occupied & she'd leave everyone else alone. She is still exhibiting the same behavior though. It's only been a week, but nothing we have tried has worked. I'm sick of worrying & being upset over it. And I'm not going to keep the other chickens "cooped up" all of the time because she can't behave & it's equally unfair to keep her cooped up while the others are out all of the time. I can't seem to find a solution that benefits her AND keeps me & the other chickens happy and stress-free.

So one of my poor frizzles was being "pecked on" leaving his backend bare, I had trouble crocheting a sweater or saddle and it seamed stiff so instead since he's a guy I decided to be cooler and make a sweatshirt. I cut the sleeve of an old sweatshirt and cut wingelling slots. I also added some little holes for a draw string around the neck. He seams to be adjusting and now he's covered and protected with full mobility. And looks pretty sweet in his new swag! Check out my Scraggles the frizzle.

This is super cute! Poor thing! Percy's feathers are finally growing back now that she's been staying in the other coop for the past 2 weeks. Her butt is still pretty bare, but I see quite a few little feathers just starting. I'm kind of excited about it. This will be the first time since I've had her that she will have a fluffy butt- assuming that after this long she can actually grow a full butt of feathers. We shall see!

I'm not trying to be rude, but I've addressed all of these points in the numerous posts I've made in this thread. What you can see in the picture is less than half of that coop, but I agree- I still think it is small. When we got it Percy, Bertha, & another hen lived in it. The enclosed end is big enough for two hens to sleep & nest in very comfortably. The door is opened by 9am every single day- most of the time earlier- and is only closed after they go in (on their own) at dusk. They have numerous kinds of chicken food they can choose from. They get fresh fruits & vegetables almost daily due to the fact that my in laws never eat out. They get mealworms & oat treats. They have several acres to free range on. These two were adults when I got them, and not well cared for. I have done loads of research & tried everything that I have come across so far. I do not want my other chickens to learn this behavior. I'm lucky they haven't so far. Since she was broody for a good bit of the summer, we thought maybe getting her a rooster would A) put her in her place & B) we would let her hatch an egg & were hoping that it'd keep her occupied & she'd leave everyone else alone. She is still exhibiting the same behavior though. It's only been a week, but nothing we have tried has worked. I'm sick of worrying & being upset over it. And I'm not going to keep the other chickens "cooped up" all of the time because she can't behave & it's equally unfair to keep her cooped up while the others are out all of the time. I can't seem to find a solution that benefits her AND keeps me & the other chickens happy and stress-free.

People will continue to respond, until this post gets buried under newer posts. No one is going to read all 60+ posts, so you will continue to get repeating advice. Just ignore, it will get buried and forgotten eventually.
Is Bertha behaving?

Back
Top Bottom