how do you stop your chicken from crowing

Thanks!
I like my roosters too, and have five that will be staying this year. All polite (cockerels so far anyway) and breeders for spring.
I still have three bantam cockerels who need new homes, one Belgian d'Uccle and three EEs, all cute, but too many is too many. Anyone???
I've tried to 'reform' nasty boys, and have given it up. Attack chickens are just wrong!
The flock isn't complete without one rooster, at least, so we will always include them here.
Mary

my rooster crows and pecks me when he want something but he also lets me pick him up and is fine

I don't have anything to add in regards to the crowing, it's just what they do. However I would highly suggest researching cockerel/rooster husbandry. I'm no rooster pro, but I have made some mistakes, like expecting a rooster to be my pet/friend rather than respecting them and allowing them to do their job.

Now I do no touch my males unless I absolutely have to. I no longer try to be their alpha, or really even a flock alpha, that's his job. I do my best to earn their respect, versus demanding their respect. In return, that rooster better earn my respect, or he's no good for us.

Although I do not try to be their alpha, I will assert dominance IF I have to. If I am attacked, that rooster gets put down. I've only had to dispatch one cockerel, but he tried going for my eyes. Now that I know more about cocks/roos, I understand that attack was my own fault. If I had understood what I/he was doing, I think he would have actually been a good leader.

My first couple of cockerels where young when I got them. They where cute little fluff balls, and I absolutely loved their attention, and would give them all the affection I could. What I didn't know at the time is I was setting myself and the relationship with them up for failure. It's far to easy to imply our human emotions on them, but they do not see it the same as we do.

I love roosters, much more than I do hens (egg production is not really important to me). I have 8 in total and each one is special to me, but I only have a good "relationship" (level of respect) with 1/2 of them. That 1/2 have been given lots of leeway to just be a rooster, not my pets. It was difficult for me to not bother/handle them, but in the long run it is paying off a lot. Not just for the benefit of me and the roos, but the entire flock.

There are as many opinions as there are flock owners. Take an afternoon, find a couple good articles here, and just research roosters. I don't have all that much experience, thus why I'm not giving much direct advice, but the experience I do have has had some failure involved. Failure that could have been avoided had I just took the time to do some research.

I do not remember the article title, but @Shadrach has at least 1 on roosters that I know of. Maybe he could direct you to it. He's also a rooster lover, and has much more experience than I do on the subject.

I've also got some solid advice from @Folly's place on roosters.

Best of luck with your cockerels/roosters. They truly are amazing.

but nothing is 100 % effective.
Well, there is one way that's 100% guaranteed:
upload_2019-11-6_8-52-42.png

Thanks Trim.
The article below is a brief (believe it, or not) summary of my observations of rooster behaviour here. I think many of the points, particularly the stances and movements are general to all roosters. The circumstances the flock is kept in have an influence on their behaviour and needs to be taken into account when reading the article.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Back
Top Bottom