How do YOU store your chicken feed???

I have 2 30 gal plastic trash cans that I store my feed in. I can get 100 lbs of feed an scratch in each. I dump it out of the bags as it is easier to scoop the feed out when I feed my chickens.

Quote:
AS LONG AS your cans are stored where they will NOT get wet, just dump the food in as is. On dry days, when they are empty, you can always dump them upside down, bang on them to clean them. These cans WILL keep out mice. They will NOT keep out rats--heaven forbid you have any!!
ep.gif
The small cans hold about 50-60 pounds of feed, and the large cans hold about 250 pounds of food. I have NEVER had mice in my cans, unless I left the lid off. I live in the country with farm fields in back of me, with LOTS of mice, even with my cats in the barn.

Take the feed out of paper bags, and burn/garden with the bags. Take them out of plastic bags and line you trash can with them. Not even fencing wire or glass will break through these bags. I have used galvanize steel trash cans since 1985 when I first got my horses. My plastic storage can (Rubbermaid type) had two big holes in the lid from mice in the FIRST WEEK!! (IT now lives in my garage so that my family has no excuse to not throw away garbage from the cars.)

FYI, galvanized steel cans will degenerate and rust over time. I just move them to another building for trash and replace with a new feed can. Right now I even have a big trash can in my basement. Also, you might consider, if you have room, the giant oil can sized can, (about $10-12 each at a farm supply stores,) because they hold closer to 500 pounds of feed. My 8 adult RIR's are going through about 50 pounds of feed/month (it might be less--haven't been watching that closely). If you or anybody you know drinks a lot of coffee, consider reusing the plastic handled coffee containers as feed scoops. The metal ones are great, too. It's a waste of money to buy feed scoops, because they're metal (rust) or plastic (easy to break.) Get the free ones that you would throw away anyway. Hope this helps!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom