How do you store your chicken supplies?

We have a small shed that we store the layer feed, grain snacks, vitamins and dried mealworms in. Husband made a small storage shed for the straw and wood chips. We have two coops and runs that are separate and the shed is in the middle. The chickens sleep and lay in whichever coop/run they want. I don't currently have a photo of the big "man shed" just the little straw shed. We put our coops and storage as far from the house as possible and still see it. Didn't want the noise in the mornings!

straw storage far small.jpg

8CC9F129-2F4B-4D27-A8A7-5321B87258E4.jpeg
hi all. so it's been about 6 months i've been raising chickens. my supplies have gone from an extra canister of feed to bags of dried crickets in my pantry! HELP! that won't work for me. how do you store your chicken supplies. OCD ideas are very welcome as are anything Martha Stewart fancy!
i know they have to be critter proof, but how do you store your feed, snacks, fodder, oyster shells, grit, etc? pictures would be great.
Happy Day

PS: We keep the dog & cat food in the pantry. And since our chickens are pets, we store the feed in the pet section of the pantry. That's how the dried bugs got into the pantry, Eeek!

I use Vittles Vaults. Keeps out moisture and pests. I store my feed in one. I store oyster shell and poultry grit in them as well in separate containers. They come in all sizes. I bought mine from chewy.com and last ones from Petco. Shop around see who is cheaper. I wait for discounts and free shipping. Petco free ships to store and often as same day pick up if one near you. Comes in all sizes based on poundage. I also use for my dogs food. I label with a TSC canning label that will wash off it want to change. Mine are in my laundry room.

View attachment 1612066

I use Vittles Vaults. Keeps out moisture and pests. I store my feed in one. I store oyster shell and poultry grit in them as well in separate containers. They come in all sizes. I bought mine from chewy.com and last ones from Petco. Shop around see who is cheaper. I wait for discounts and free shipping. Petco free ships to store and often as same day pick up if one near you. Comes in all sizes based on poundage. I also use for my dogs food. I label with a TSC canning label that will wash off it want to change. Mine are in my laundry room.

I also use mine for pine mulch and one for dried mealworms. I have mulch and mealworms in garage. Looking forward to shed coop conversion by spring for 1/2 coop 1/2 shed to store everything in shed and get out of house.

I have two large and one medium metal garbage cans on blocks in my coop. They hold up to 200 lbs. of Flock Raiser, 25 lbs. of scratch grain mix, and 50 lbs. of oyster shell, all in their original bags from the store. Their main diet gets cycled through pretty fast, and the oyster shell and scratch grains go slower.
Other products are stored in the 'cat food room' in the house, in cabinets.
I can usually drive my car right out to the coop, which makes it easier.
Bales of shavings and hay are in the barn.
Mary

Feed and scratch is in a metal garbage can in coop shed.
Straw and shavings are in coop shed.
Bottles of grit, OS, and crushed egg shell are in coop shed.
Bag of OS is in garage.
Anything that should not see extreme temps is in lower level lavatory cabinet.

View attachment 1611747

View attachment 1611756

View attachment 1611757
i love the coop storage space! I m glad i saw this BEFORE we finished the coop! LOVE!!!!
Wait...is it nesting boxes or storage? well, it s awesome either way.

I’m a glass jar freak. I have my pantry items my kitchen counter items all in glass jars.
My feed and bulk items are in totes inside the garage.
But I keep my treats in the run. Sunflowerseeds, corn, mealworms in quart jars. They don’t break even when the hens knock them down (and they do). Lids keep them dry. Very handy for me.

Back
Top Bottom