How do you store your feed/scratch?

I live on 18 acres in the woods. I store my chicken scratch and black sunflower seeds and crumbles in the bags they come in, but store them in large (35 gal?) plastic garbage cans with their lids. I have not had any any mice or other critters chew into them. They are inside a metal barn which is closed up at night. I also have a barn cat in there too. IMO either plastic or metal garbage cans from Lowes or Home Depot will work great. I can put two 50 pound sacks in one. The lids fit tight enough to keep critters out, if they do get inside. Most feed sacks are not waterproof! FYI. No troubles and been here 10 years now.

Metal trash cans with tight lids. Bought them at TSC, even got a discount on one because it was dented. They are on the chicken coop covered porch and never had a rodent problem, just a donkey problem. When we were on vacation our grandson forgot to lock the chickens gate. Our donkeys just walked in and played around with trash can. The empty one became more dented than it already was.

I use the big black plastic containers with yellow lids sold by Walmart and others with the lid that shuts down tightly. they will hold about 150lbs of food and mice cannot get in when the lid is tight.
I’m a newbie and am using the same tote (from Ace, though). I’m hoping it works well to keep out rats and raccoons. Two summers ago a raccoon snagged a big plastic bottle of snail bait, clawed through the plastic, and ate and dumped the bait all over. Which my dog got into, but that is another story. Hoping the bin is thick enough to avoid that. Of course, we haven’t seen any raccoons since last spring 🤞🏼 We think the coyotes got them. Yes, I live in a city 🙄

Hello. I am looking for ideas for storing my feed/scratch. I currently keep all feed/scratch in our feed/tack room which is in our basement through an outside door. We have some mice friends getting into it. What do you use that works? Metal trash cans? Plastic feed containers? Thanks in advance.
I use big metal garbage can with lids of course....I live on the Quebec Canadian border and our climate is pretty harsh and I've used them for years with no issues and we have about 100 birds from Chickens, Ducks, Geese, and Swans. This is just my knowledge on your question. Hope it helps and adds to your answer.

I’m a newbie and am using the same tote (from Ace, though). I’m hoping it works well to keep out rats and raccoons. Two summers ago a raccoon snagged a big plastic bottle of snail bait, clawed through the plastic, and ate and dumped the bait all over. Which my dog got into, but that is another story. Hoping the bin is thick enough to avoid that. Of course, we haven’t seen any raccoons since last spring 🤞🏼 We think the coyotes got them. Yes, I live in a city 🙄
I love your account name lol

Rubbermaid brute trash cans on the out side of my garage under the eve. I've not had any water penatraion or animal invasion of the cans. They have tried but failed. No mold either.

Hello. I am looking for ideas for storing my feed/scratch. I currently keep all feed/scratch in our feed/tack room which is in our basement through an outside door. We have some mice friends getting into it. What do you use that works? Metal trash cans? Plastic feed containers? Thanks in advance.
I keep my scratch and crumble in the metal trash cans to keep the mice out. It’s kept right outside the coop so I have easy access.

Back
Top Bottom