How do you store your poultry feed?

Red Barn Farms

~Friendly Fowl~
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Kentucky Heartland
Chicken pellets, crumble, scratch grains and the like! What do you use to store your feed in. We ran into some extra good luck when the DW was able to obtain these 10 plastic containers with lids at work. They held cake frosting and need a good scrubbing. We already have a few so this brings the total to fifteen plastic containers! Some are round and others are square. She thinks she will be able to bring home about ten buckets weekly!!

They work really well with tight fitting lids and we can label them according to what will be stored in each bucket. Some can be used for crumble, scratch grains, oyster shell calcium, grit, etc.

Cost per bucket: FREE!

Nice score!
yesss.gif
well.. er.. i keep the majority of my feed in my front hall...
hide.gif
Yes, in my house, i have all the duck/chicken feed, horse feed in there, i have a huge plastic bin that holds over 60lbs of feed that keeps the flock raiser and 90lb bag of scratch just sits on the floor in it's grain sack...

The oyster shell and DE are in the garage, i use a small bucket and a cleaned out litter plastic container(similar to what you have only smaller) to haul the feed out daily.

So to end this story, i have made a feed room in my house, i have no shame.
gig.gif

Last edited:
metal cans.

Rodents can and do chew through plastic.

I never thought about mice or rats chewing through the plastic buckets.
hmm.png
They are really thick polypropylene plastic. I know plastic because I work in QC in plastics. I've been lucky in using these plastic buckets for a year now with no problems yet. Hope that doesn't change. I thought about going with metal but over time even that can rust.

ECBW I'd like to make a suggestion to you. If you have mice eating through plastic you may well have a rodent infestation problem. I'd like to recommend the ultrasonic pest repellent machines.

Last edited:
Nice score!
yesss.gif
well.. er.. i keep the majority of my feed in my front hall...
hide.gif
Yes, in my house, i have all the duck/chicken feed, horse feed in there, i have a huge plastic bin that holds over 60lbs of feed that keeps the flock raiser and 90lb bag of scratch just sits on the floor in it's grain sack...

The oyster shell and DE are in the garage, i use a small bucket and a cleaned out litter plastic container(similar to what you have only smaller) to haul the feed out daily.

So to end this story, i have made a feed room in my house, i have no shame.
gig.gif
Shame on you!
lau.gif
Nope, really no shame in it at all. We've had chickens on and off in our utility room for a year now with feed stored in there and at times one of the bathrooms too!

I never thought about mice or rats chewing through the plastic buckets.
hmm.png
They are really thick polypropylene plastic. I know plastic because I work in QC in plastics. I guess it's possible though. I've been lucky in using these plastic buckets for a year now with no problems yet. Hope that doesn't change. I thought about going with metal but over time even that can rust.

We don't have rats here but mice are a PITA and chew through stuff like you wouldn't believe, being a stronger plastic it will take longer but they will eventually get through.. they are determined buggers.

We don't have rats here but mice are a PITA and chew through stuff like you wouldn't believe, being a stronger plastic it will take longer but they will eventually get through.. they are determined buggers.

After about two months of having chickens I started noticing little black dropping in the food troughs so I started using those ultrasonic pest repellent machines. Years ago we used them where our cattle grains were stored. They really do work wonders!

http://www.ehow.com/about_5240763_do-machines-work-repel-rodents_.html

Here is the one that I own:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...peller/dp/B0007CXT8G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited:
After about two months of having chickens I started noticing little black dropping in the food troughs so I started using those ultrasonic pest repellent machines. Years ago we used them where our cattle grains were stored. They really do work wonders!

http://www.ehow.com/about_5240763_do-machines-work-repel-rodents_.html

Here is the one that I own:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...peller/dp/B0007CXT8G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I have wondered if those were any good, my mouse killer is a cat lol he does a good job they were having a hay day(the mice) with my hay barn..
barnie.gif
he got rid of that problem that said, i don't have a proper feed room that is close and frozen grain, is not something i am fond of so my front hall it is... this place is a zoo anyhow, just lacks admission fees.

Shame on you!
lau.gif
Nope, really no shame in it at all. We've had chickens on and off in our utility room for a year now with feed stored in there and at times one of the bathrooms too!

Oh, heck the first ducks were brooded in the dining room... er.. so were the chickens since they preceded their coop... whatever what happens in the country stays in the country
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom