How do you tame a coturnix chick?

SeptemberQuail

Songster
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Australia
I just spent a day of handling my big quail, a day after I got them, and now they're used to me picking them up, eating out of my hand or picking food from my grip, and me standing with them, they normally won't run away (only when I randomly just throw my hand in, they run at first).

I want to do the same with my quail chicks, as everytime I rush my hand in to change the food, water and their temporary bedding (next week we're moving them onto wood shavings), they run and jump away. Then I normally leave my hand in, sometimes they walk over it like an obstacle, and brush under my arm. Sometimes they peck at my nails.
When I pick them up to move them into a separate box in the brooder (we have two boxes filled with wood shavings, then a cloth on top. they normally use one, then when that's dirty, we switch it. we do this daily) they would always wriggle around and try to get out, and I fear I may drop them so I have to be quick.
There's only one or two chicks that don't mind being held and are willing to sleep in my hand.

Sometimes I get bigger chunks out of their food and place it on my hand, sometimes they'll curiously peck at it and even take it away and eat it.
But I want to be closer to them. :]

Anyone know how?
Thanks.

i think quail are naturally a bit timid, my older ones are fairly tame, they have just got use to me being around. one thing is just do everyday things and don,t sup rise them, make sure they see you coming.
smile.png

It sounds like you're already doing what you need to do to tame them. Just keep it up!
You could also, if you have time, hang out next to their pen without directly interacting with them. Like read a book or goof off on your laptop or whatever where they can see you nearby and you could even read out loud or talk to them softly to get them used to your voice.
That's what i do with my quail and they're pretty okay with me being around. Two of them will even come hang out near the door and try to get my attention because they're hoping for treats!

Well, it's hard hanging near their pen because the brooder size is for when they're older. Right now they're in a box in a brooder. Some of the older ones (a week old now ^.^) jump out and can't get back in. I had to wake up in the middle of the night to help one up. And the box is near the end of the brooder where it's furthest, and where the lights are. The other side just has a 'door' on the top.
My parents don't like me sitting on the floor, as it's that part of the house where we wear our shoes, whereas the carpet area is where we take off our shoes... They don't like my clothes getting dirty. So I can't exactly read near them. But I'll try and talk to them most times. :]

Haha, I mashed up some boiled egg yesterday (half of it) and put some of it on my hand. They were scared at first, but curiously pecked at it, and loved it! They would pick pieces off and run away with it and play 'capture the flag' with it. I put the rest on top of their food, and this morning there was none left!

Thanks for the replies!

I have the same situation. I hand raise my quail from eggs. It is not that the quail are afraid of you, they just don't like to be held or restrained. My adults are in an aviary and I can walk in, they all gather around. I can touch them and they have no fear. But as soon as I pick one up, it tries to get away. I can set the same quail on the ground after it has struggled to get away, and it just sits there, unafraid, and doesn't run away. So it is the restraint that the birds don't like. You could probably have luck if you cupped it in two hands without restricting it.

I see;
Thing is, my adult quail don't mind handling. They let me scoop them up in one hand without any hesitation (sometimes when I pick them up wrong they will), then they try to stand in my hand (Haha, I know why...).

I guess some chicks don't mind whilst others hate it.
Thanks Steveovergard!

Back
Top Bottom