How do you teach chicks to roost?

I'm proud to say all my young Australorps (4 mo old) are now roosting completely on their own!! They did this over night after sleeping on the ground for a little over 1 week. Some roost in with the horses in their stalls lol, but I don't care and neither do the horses! Thank you so much everyone for your help!! :)

I tried this to teach them to roost by using this wooden box
15213239386721737065097.jpg

I have new chicks and I am encouraging them to roost by putting in little boxes and stands in the brooder with them. When they are moved to the bigger brooder outside in the barn they will have the same things there.

You don't really have to teach them how to roost. they will do it on their own. until they do,, they will sleep in a group on the floor.

to teach chicks to go in at dusk, don't let them out at first until about 10 minutes before they should go back in. at first they might not even go out.
just watch them, when they start going in and out, extend the time a little more each day for about a week..
if you can, leave a light on inside the coop.
they will go toward the light when it starts getting dark outside.

In my current batch of 4 at 13 days old one likes to roost all the time since we put the little jungle gym in yesterday. He even takes naps, will try to sleep there at night then join the others. The others like to jump around on them and sit for a few moments the play around. I was wondering, how high/low should they be? And how high is too high?

In my current batch of 4 at 13 days old one likes to roost all the time since we put the little jungle gym in yesterday. He even takes naps, will try to sleep there at night then join the others. The others like to jump around on them and sit for a few moments the play around. I was wondering, how high/low should they be? And how high is too high?
they are still young. they will learn on their own aw they get older.
chicks learn by imitating what they see.
when I get a batch of 50 or 100, I teach only 3 or four to drink from the fountain. the rest catch on from seeing them drink.
put a few colored marbles in the drinking fountain/pan. the chicks sometimes peck at shiny
objects and they learn to drink that way.
I made a roost for the young chicks 2 feet high.
I made all three roosts at the same level instead of at different levels. I hinged it to the wall and I could raise it up to make cleaning the floor under it easier.
I often had up to 500 chicks at a time.
.......jiminwisc.......

Back
Top Bottom