How do you tell a healthy hen???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MonkeyZero, Jun 12, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    OK well, some people know about my crazy hen problem. So I have a friend who has a few Wellsummer/BL cross hens(lay off white eggs). How do I know that I am getting a healthy one? She has 3 so I get to chose tommorow. What are signs of a healthy hen?

2. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I would say they should be appropriately heavy for their size, nicely feathered (no bare spots or poopy butts) and generally look healthy. Check their eyes for crawly things and no cloudiness, discharge, etc. Pick one up and blow the feathers back so you can see the skin, to check for lice or other issues. Poops should be, well, chicken poops... not runny or off color, etc.

3. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Check their legs and make sure they are nice and smooth scaly. Also, the healthier a hen, the thicker thier egg shell will be.

4. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    Lordy, then my chickens must be in the pink of health! There are days I have to whang the eggs against the granite counter top to get them to crack. My friend has taken to calling them "hippy eggs" after overhearing her omlet loving husband cussing up a storm one morning at "these g-d d-d hippy eggs" that wouldn't break! [​IMG]

(He loves'em though, and hasn't once turned them down.)

5. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Yup Even my hens eggs are hard! My cousin also has granite and she too whacks the eggs to make them crack...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by