How do you tell Buff Orpingtons apart?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chocobo, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    So I just got two BO's and two Ameraucanas.
    They are only six days old and the Americaunas have slightly different "chipmunk" colourings but the BO's look EXACTLY the same. [​IMG]
    It occurred to me that every picture of adult Buff Orpingtons I've seen looked the same too.
    Will I ever be able to tell the difference or are BO's the identical twins of the poultry world?

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can put a zip tie around one chicken's leg. I haven't done this but I read here that people do to tell them apart.

eta: a plastic zip tie. Not sure if there are other kinds.

eta again. I just noticed the age. We are waiting until our chicks feather out fully before marking any. I figure there's always a chance someone will have some unique color pattern.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I can tell my 4 apart. Ruby is always up my butt whenever I am outside. Buttercup was the roos fave and has a messed up comb from him. Pumpkin has some smut on her tail. And Sunshine likes to talk. [​IMG]

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] yeah personalty, Id be afraid to put a zip tie. [​IMG]

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

Ideally, show quality birds will look alike. If you do not have SQ Orps then you can start by checking their feet/legs and eyes. Sometimes you will find differences there. After a while you will be able to tell them apart by behavior, weight differences, sounds, tail, etc.

6. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I got some of those colored plastic ring bands for mine. They expand so you don't have to worry about them getting too tight. They look a lot like a key ring.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  8. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    I have several adult Buff's that look exactly the same. I "mark them" with a Sharpie permanent marker on their combs when they are in the nesting boxes. This will last a few months and let's me know who is who.[​IMG]

9. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    It has been easy to tell our 2 Buff Orps apart because Pearl was always a bit smaller than Doris. Also, when Doris was young, we had to spray Blue Cote on her rump so that others wouldn't peck at a sore that she had. One year later, some of her tail feathers still have a slight trace of purple tint on them!

good luck!

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I don't have any trouble telling mine apart - once they are older it gets easier. Of my two, one is a little larger than the other and her comb stands straight up. The other is very petite, has the tiniest little feet of any of my adult chooks, and her comb flops to one side a little. I've also noticed that they have different voices. When one is coming up behind me I can usually tell who it is just from the "conversation". And last, one molted last Fall and the other didn't. The one who didn't has sun-bleached feathers so is now a much lighter color than the one who did. As chicks they can all look alike but I think you'll find once they develop more, you'll have no trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by