How do you tell if your chickens are fat?

Kinda hard to keep weight on growing chickens. That's just the nature of the beast. Just keep free feed out so they can take a bite when they want.

Thanks so much for this. Do I tell by feeling them or just looking at them?
You feel them. But it should be noted, that on a normal, healthy chicken, you should be able to easily feel the keel bone. The only breeds that have very large breast muscles are the meat breeds and Cornish.
Additionally, you should feel for more than just the keel bone. Hips, shoulder, and back areas should be well muscled in adult birds.

You feel them. But it should be noted, that on a normal, healthy chicken, you should be able to easily feel the keel bone. The only breeds that have very large breast muscles are the meat breeds and Cornish.
Additionally, you should feel for more than just the keel bone. Hips, shoulder, and back areas should be well muscled in adult birds.
Following the chart that casportpony posted, BOTH of them feel like a two.
Or maybe a three. It feels like a v-shaped thing over there. But the "breast meat" definitely doesnt protrude. It's like.. it curves down, with the keel bone being the apex.
So my other hen is just fluffy?
big_smile.png

Following the chart that casportpony posted, BOTH of them feel like a two.
Or maybe a three. It feels like a v-shaped thing over there. But the "breast meat" definitely doesnt protrude. It's like.. it curves down, with the keel bone being the apex. 
So my other hen is just fluffy? :D

Then both feel exactly as they should. One is likely more fluffy.

My 8 month old black Australorp waddles like she has a full diper. Feels kinda fat back there, in body, not just fluff.She lays every other day, I think she may just be a big girl. Any insight?

Australorps are a heavy set and stocky breed. As long as she is laying and healthy, there is no worry.

Her eggs are always odd. Bulges, thin spots, cracks that healed over, one flat side, splashed with brown, speckled, or totally ivory. Very large but long ovals.

Back
Top Bottom