How do you tell them apart?

bumblebird

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
How do you tell your birds apart? We've had 4 Buffs since 3/15 but can't tell one from another. What kinds of tricks do you have to distinguish birds in your flock? We have names for ours but can't really assign names yet. Ha!

The trick is to mark them - leg bands, etc - this will allow you to be able to tell them apart and then you will start to be able to see the little things about each individual (both physically and personality wise) that will make you able to know who is who without having to see the leg band.....*or* .....build a mixed flock with no two birds of the same breed, lol.

How do you tell your birds apart? We've had 4 Buffs since 3/15 but can't tell one from another. What kinds of tricks do you have to distinguish birds in your flock? We have names for ours but can't really assign names yet. Ha!
In my flock we have three GC so they look pretty similar so I understand this. When we first got them we felt the same way. We looked for distinguishing traits on each. One of ours was luckily a shade darker in color so that helped with one. The other two were more difficult except that one had almost a bleached out looking earring on it so once we noticed that we could tell between those two too. Just give it some time and look for stuff that sets them apart and if you still have issues do not worry too much, they will not hold it against you! Good Luck!

I have the same problem with my two Australorps and one Jersey Giant. I can't tell one from the other until they walk away from me. It doesn't help that they all have similar personalities. Quiet, soft voices; aloof; and terrified of everything if the Easter eggers aren't with them. My barred rocks, while looking similar, have enough variation in their combs, feather patterns, and personalities, that it's easy for me to spot who is who.

Back
Top Bottom