how do you tell who laid?

mrs918

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 14, 2011
spokane,wa
When I get up in the morning all the girls come running hoping Mama brought them treats... Which I LOVE. This morning was no different, by the time I get to the coop they're all there cackling and begging. But today was different, I found our first egg!! But now I have no clue who laid it
sad.png
Any guesses here?? I have three brown layers, a RIR, RSL and BR, Im leaning to BR,

Heres the pic
smile.png

Thanks!! Im so happy
smile.png

76824_untitled.jpg

Congratulations on your first egg! Maybe the hen with the bright red comb and wattle laid the egg?

There are two bones you can feel just below the vent. You can fit two or three fingers between them, pressing gently, if laying. If not, only one will fit. The vent should also look a bit more moist and open.

My thought would be RSL? How old are they? Congrats on the first egg! We have 4 RSL that are 14 wks old, one is really getting her comb and wattles.

Glad you figured it out.

We know our older hens egg colors so we know who is laying and who is skipping! Now our babies are starting to lay and the first was a little blue green egg (only one EE baby, so we know it is her). Then we got a tiny white egg. Only two lay white, the Ancona and the Brown leghorn and have only seen the Ancona in the nest and she has the reddest comb and so we figure it is her.

Our brown egg layers have different shades (the older hens) so we can tell them apart and the EE have different too. One is a bright green and one is a sage color. The new one is really bluish (and tiny now) so I think we wont have trouble with theirs. We have two more brown coming up to, all the babies are gettin red combs. We are gonna be up to our neck in eggs. We have 8 laying and get 7-8 eggs a day! On a slow day we get 6, but that is rare! And we have 3 more to start laying! And one of our BR consistently lays double yokers (at least once a week) and our new rescue EE laid her first egg since she came and it was a double yoker too!

Quote:
Wow that is a lot of eggs! We got three more today, so I think all of the girls are laying yay! One was a soft shell, that the br got to before me, but I'm thinking it might of been the ee. Our rir woke me with her egg song this am so im pretty sure the first one was hers, then the br started singing about two hrs later ...yay for eggs !

Back
Top Bottom