How do you tell who layed which egg?

Lizzy28

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 5, 2011
Florida
I have 2 Buff orphingtons, and 1 Silver laced wyandotte. Also my RIR has been going into the nesting box a lot lately and she never seems to lay a egg while shes in there. I tried comparing the eggs that i collect and seeing if i could tell but its hard because their all about the same color. Is there another way to tell?

i cant tell mine apart either
roll.png

Have you compared shapes? Like I have two white leghorns. One lays an egg shaped egg. The other lays a round shaped egg. I never noticed this till a friend pointed it out.

This sounds hilarious, but I heard somebody mention that if you paint their vents with some of those washeable finger paints that you use for little kids, then the egg will get some of that paint on it and you'll know who's egg is who's! It's kind of silly....

You have to catch them laying. Im not sure if all my EE's are laying yet. Its been so cool out that I don't go out to much, just 2 times a day. Durring the summer I will hang out back there.

Yep, you have to catch them laying - then compare subtle differences. My light brahma always lays her egg with a pointy tip, My EE has a swirl at the small end of the egg. (and it's green) It can be tricky when you have more than one of a breed - there are a few of my girls I cannot tell the difference from - like my 2 English Orps.

For the first week that we were getting eggs, we couldn't tell which of our five were doing it either! We were pretty sure it was one of two girls only because those two had been quite a bit ahead of the rest when it came to development, but couldn't narrow it any further....until we had them out free ranging one afternoon and our BA went jogging back to the run, into the coop, and plopped in a nest box. Ten minutes later she ran back out and joined the rest of the flock and left a pretty brown egg behind.
smile.png

Last night we came home and found TWO eggs in the nest boxes. So now we have to stalk them all over again and figure out who Mystery Layer #2 is (I'm betting on our BR).
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom