How do you think antibiotics are best administered?

Hold head like this:
DSCN4900 (Large).JPG

I am having a terrible time trying to get the medicine down her throat. I’ve never had much luck with oral meds for the ducks. It just drips down her neck. I’ve tried 3 times today and she really needs this medicine.

I’ve read several posts on how to this, avoid the trachea, etc. I’m getting really frustrated. I have no one to help me. I’m going to have to ask my vet for an injectable medicine.

Plus, we had a huge snow storm last night and it’s about 19 degrees out. all The ducks are staying in the barn today and they hate me.
I have to give medication by myself as well. I know it can be really hard until you get used to it. Sometimes I have to give oral meds and can't use my tomato method. Then I squat down, hold my duck between my knees to give myself 2 free hands, hold her head like in the photo @casportpony posted, and deliver the medication with the other hand.

If you have a head lamp like hikers use that can help you see into her throat and make you more comfortable.

If the squat hold doesn't make sense I'll take a photo of myself doing it tonight. I need to check my duck's tail anyway.

I have to give medication by myself as well. I know it can be really hard until you get used to it. Sometimes I have to give oral meds and can't use my tomato method. Then I squat down, hold my duck between my knees to give myself 2 free hands, hold her head like in the photo @casportpony posted, and deliver the medication with the other hand.

If you have a head lamp like hikers use that can help you see into her throat and make you more comfortable.

If the squat hold doesn't make sense I'll take a photo of myself doing it tonight. I need to check my duck's tail anyway.
I have not tried keeping her between my knees. I do sit down with her and really try to stay calm. Do you keep her feet on the ground when doing this? I always feel that I’m fighting with flappy wings and kicking feet.

I have not tried keeping her between my knees. I do sit down with her and really try to stay calm. Do you keep her feet on the ground when doing this? I always feel that I’m fighting with flappy wings and kicking feet.
I do keep her feet on the floor. I feel like this stresses them out less. My knees/thighs keep her wings closed.

My ducks don't like being wrapped in towels. Probably because it reminds them of being at the vet. Duck burritos make them anxious, but I know it works well for other people, so if you haven't tried that it might work well for you. I can grab them, stick them between my knees, and medicate them in under 2 minutes, so no towel needed.

I'm pretty flexible, so if you aren't maybe a small stepping stool would help assist.

I do keep her feet on the floor. I feel like this stresses them out less. My knees/thighs keep her wings closed.

My ducks don't like being wrapped in towels. Probably because it reminds them of being at the vet. Duck burritos make them anxious, but I know it works well for other people, so if you haven't tried that it might work well for you. I can grab them, stick them between my knees, and medicate them in under 2 minutes, so no towel needed.

I'm pretty flexible, so if you aren't maybe a small stepping stool would help assist.
Thank You! That’s a perfect description of what I will try tomorrow morning! And holding the head up. I think Casportpony’s picture may had one finger in ducks mouth to keep open.

I’ll be less dispirited tomorrow. I want this sweet girl to get better and today was a bit of a crapshow.

One more question...when you have the duck between your knees, is the duck facing you or away? Thank you!

One more question...when you have the duck between your knees, is the duck facing you or away? Thank you!
Facing away. I have my own disability, however. My right wrist barely functions. You might find it easier to do it facing you, I have to do it with my ducks facing away because of the way my wrist and fingers don't bend.

As for holding my duck's mouth open, I think I do it with my thumb and index finger of my left hand. I'll check tonight, it is so automatic now I can't remember. And I need to check her tail for ingrown feathers anyway.

Back
Top Bottom