How Do You Train a LGD

scrambledmess

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
NW Ohio
We are just starting our goat herd. I don't think we need a LGD until the goats are bigger, because some of what I read you need the goats to help you train the dogs. I don't think little 10 pounders are going to help train any puppy
wink.png

So how do you train your LGD? As a working LGD, how do they do with your own children? Are they able to let other humans deal with your herd? Like can a vet come and get in with the herd or if you leave on vacation can you get someone else to care for the herd? If this can happen for you, did you have to do anything special with their training? If it doesn't happen for you, why not? Did you try to train and it didn't work or did you just not worry about it?

We don't have many stray animals around here. But most, probably all, of the farmers around here do not contain their dogs. We are a good distance from anyone and I have only seen other dogs down at my house a couple of times since living here (almost 2 years). But it only takes ONCE. Plus I have heard coyotes during the summer, so I know those are around too.

Thanks for any tips or direction to where I can find these answers
smile.png

We are tossing around the idea of getting a few goats, and if we do, we'll have to get an LGD- just too many critters around here, especially at night, for just us lowly humans to deal with. I found a really good site that deals a lot with Great Pyrenees (probably the breed we would get) but has some general LGD info. http://www.bountifulfarm.com/

There are a couple of yahoo groups that are great and can help with training your LGD. Also, a good way to start is to purchase an older, already trained LGD that way it is not the blind leading the blind so to speak. With this economy, there are many people downsizing and placing some or all of their dogs. There are some rescues that will evaluate LGD breeds and let you know if and what they are suitable for, another great option.

As far as how they are with your children and other people, this probably depends on the individual dog, their training, etc. Our dogs are fantastic with our kids, though still a bit overwhelming at first as they love the kids and are so excited to see them they can be a bit pushy. That is partially our fault, we need to make them back off a bit. However, they are not jumping or anything, just licking faces, and crowding. My dogs do bark at other people, but if I tell them "thats enough" they generally stop and will accept anyone I let in the pasture. Which I always have that person come over a couple of times before attempting to take care them while we are going to be gone. So far, no problems, but again, they are fairly young. Our male is not quite two yet and our female just turned a year. Perhaps in another year, they may be even more cautious and protective, but we have kept them very social because we wanted them that way.

If you want the names of the yahoo groups, just let me know I can PM them to you. I see dogs on there all the time looking for homes.

It's mainly instinct.
LGDs are wonderful with children. Sometimes they try to play with goats or chickens, etc, but they don't really have prey drive if the breeding was good with good instinct in the line. Goats usually butt them if they get too rambunctious as puppies, so they learn respect. Chickens can sometimes be an issue, but it just depends on the LGD itself.

It is a lot of instinct, but puppies are puppies and love to chase and play and bad habits are easy to form. Especially without the guidance of a good LGD adult or owner who knows how to train a LGD puppy. They are amazingly smart, be very careful with each thing you do, because they are watching and will pick up things you didn't even mean to teach them!

I have had goats for ten years and trained two great pyrenese over the years. The ones I got were about year old pyrs that were rescues. This is the BEST way to go if you can find one that is a rescue. There are so many that need homes. You don't HAVE to get a puppy...and the goats don't train dogs....PEOPLE DO!! I trained mine to goats and chickens.. You just have to have common sense and an idea of how to do basic obedience. Some people just think you should throw your dog out with the goats and ignore it thinking it will bond with the herd. But dogs - even guard dogs need socialization and to be able to be handled by you, your family, vet etc. You need to be able to groom and care for the dog - get it loaded in vehicle to go to vet etc.

You need to supervise all interaction with goats/chickens/other livestock very carefully until the dog understands they are not to play with. If its a true LGD it wont take long to understand...but if you dont teach them NO then they might want to chase or play. YOU have to teach them its NOT okay to play with the other farm animals!

It takes alot of work and persistence...but it doesnt take too awfully long....and is SO worth the time spent. You will have a wonderful dog for years.

I enjoyed not having a puppy going thru all the puppy stages. at about a year old they are thru the worst of the puppy stages and ready to learn their job. Otherwise you would have to have much more supervision. Thats just my opinion. Read lots of books on obedience training. Mine were great on the farm with chickens and goats and horses. they also got along with other dogs. They were good on leash and with people and children. I could load them to go to the vet and they enjoyed going. They were trained to stand at an open gate and not come thru until I gave them the okay. This is handy when you are moving goats and need them to stay back...or not run off at the first open gate.

I love pyrs....but you do have alot of brushing involved....but you wont find a better dog. They are awsome gentle giants.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom