How do you train the chickens to go into coop at night?

however, they will instinctually go in at some point, because they have to lay... but if you want them to go in on command then that's what I would do...

No less than a full week and generally never more than a FULL week is necessary. This is no matter their age. Just make sure they have ample food and water.
highfive.gif
yippiechickie.gif
After a week, in the morning open the hatch and allow them to decide when to escape. Unusual if that evening they do not return to the safety of the coop.
frow.gif

Oh! I forgot. I also added a light in the coop ( chicken have very bad eyesight) so they can see as it becomes dark outside.
he.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

My coop is in my barn.
I kept my chicks locked in the raised coop for a week, then let them down the ramp to the enclosed run under the coop for a few days, then allowed them into the outdoor run during the daytime. By then they had all learned the "upstairs" of the coop was home and where they sleep. Eventually they all started using the roosts too.
Only once did I have to shoo any in through the pop door, and those were ones that were hatched by a broody and had free access to the entire coop and run from the start, and were a little afraid of going in to the "dark" coop in the evening.

When I started letting the chicks out of the coop, at first they were pretty timid, but once one of them got up the courage to go out, the rest followed pretty quickly. The second day, three of them went out of the coop in the morning just fine, but the fourth was still inside squawking her little head off and running around frantically because she couldn't find the others. I finally got her out of the coop and all was well. The first few days, I had to kind of set them on the ramp and use my hands to herd them back up it into the coop, but after that they figured out how to go in and out on their own. On monday this week, it actually snowed in the morning and was only 35 degrees and rainy all day. I was worried about the chickens, but when I got home, they were all inside the coop snuggled up together on their heating pad.

I have same problem. We have 4 chicken in small coop and am wondering where to put food and water while they are locked in for so long. And its been pretty warm as late please help

Ok fist day outside My Bad! They have been use to small coop as we had one in the house when they ouy grew brooder box .so it like 45 degrees out have yhe heat light on and a weather blanket on top of coop should be warm and cozy . It is gettig dark will see if they go in and settle in for yhe night.lf not gonna be a long night for momma will let you know tomorrow how things go

Hoppy easter to all my new byc friends
My babies did fine last night wiyhout me lol they even went to bed wiyhout being help wish children would do so well lol good day all thanks for the past help and future help
Jojo

I let mine out a couple weeks ago on a warmer day, but it was still a little chilly for them so I put them back in the coop. Had a short day at work today and its in the 70's here in Michigan, so when I got home I opened the door to the run for them. Next thing I knew they were all out foraging around and have a blast. Then after about 30-45 minutes of that they all just went back in the coop. Then my leghorn came back out to roost and take a nap.
My chicks are about 4-5 weeks old. Ive had them for 4 weeks and 2 days now; I'd guess they are 4.5 weeks.

As far as them going back in at night, I am not sure. A friend of mine said the first time he cut his chickens loose, they all returned except for one at sun down. They had to show the one the way back to the coop and it was fine after that.

Attachments

• 4-22-19.JPG
    4-22-19.JPG
    777.4 KB · Views: 30

Back
Top Bottom