How do you travel with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Booswalia, May 16, 2011.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Yipee!!! I found a few more chick friends for my one lonely chick, Dumpling. I have to go pick them up tomorrow morning.
    So how does one travel with baby chicks? They are only 3 days old. Do I need to keep them warmer than what's comfortable in the car? It's about an hour drive.

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Hmm, just an hour is really good so it's not thaaaaat long. Umm, usually if you go to deliver chicks to a new home I'd feed them electrolytes before the experience. Also, make sure you have a heat source because just because it's comfortable for you, doesn't mean it is for them. They will more in likely be cold. I would usually do a smaller brooder (With the light), in a tub in the front seat xD So you can keep a close eye on them.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A lot of us have had to travel an hour from a feed store or TSC after buying chicks. Keep them in a box with a cover and that will help hold the heat in. You may be uncomfortable with the interior heat at 80, but they chicks will like it better and not pile up on each other as badly. Folks do this all this time. Haven't lost one yet!

4. Booswalia

Thanks. It's still quite cold here (outside), but I guess I'll just put them in a box and keep the heat up reasonably high for them. There's no such thing as electrolytes in these parts, so that's out of the question. Unless they like Gatorade.

5. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:is Pedialyte ok for chicks?

6. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:[​IMG] Agreed, I usually have to order them online xD

Edit- That my friend is a quotable quote.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  7. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    you can get some of those hand warmers and wrap them in a thin towel and put it in the box so you dont have to have the heater in the car up to high.

1 person likes this.
  8. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Where are you getting them from? I guess I was wondering if you could use a couple of hot water bottles that you would fill up at the pick up point, and cover whatever they are traveling in with a blanket. That was how I brought home my puppies when my girl had a c-section (used a rubbermaid tote). Of course it was only a 30-40 min ride, not an hour, but it WAS January in Ohio [​IMG] And I warmed the car up for a long time before I put them in the car.

9. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Plain Pedialyte is okay for chicks. Don't know if they make a low sugar version without artificial sweeteners.

10. Booswalia

Everybody is home safe and sound. I even have names for them already.
    Dumpling is the original chick and the three new ones are Biscuit, Omlet, and Noodle. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by