How do you treat ducks for lice?

PoultryAndPets

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2023
Usually, we can avoid lice infections, as our poultry bury themselves in wormwood, a natural repellent. But now that it is summer, the wormwood has lost its leaves, so they have no protection from infection. If we use the lice treatment on our chickens, they're fine, but if we spray our ducks, they go for a swim, the poison will (maybe) leak out into the water, and then they drink their swimming water, therefore poisoning themselves. If anyone has any ideas on how to treat ducks, your input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I know permethrin works well for a lot of infestations. But I would wait for someone else to chime in on the topic.

Maybe ivermectin as well.

Usually, we can avoid lice infections, as our poultry bury themselves in wormwood, a natural repellent. But now that it is summer, the wormwood has lost its leaves, so they have no protection from infection. If we use the lice treatment on our chickens, they're fine, but if we spray our ducks, they go for a swim, the poison will (maybe) leak out into the water, and then they drink their swimming water, therefore poisoning themselves. If anyone has any ideas on how to treat ducks, your input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Have you actually see any signs of lice? It isn't a common issue for ducks, and I wouldn't worry about prevention treatments

Back
Top Bottom