How do you turn eggs in a incubator?

It's MUCH easier to just get an auto-turner. Otherwise you have to turn them side to side at least three times a day...if you do it this way, you'll only do it once before you buy a turner...

Here is how I do it. I put them in egg cartons, with holes I cut out of the sides. The small end goes down. I use a 1 inch piece of wood and put it one one side of the carton 3 times a day I move the wood to the other side of the carton. You don't flip them upside down. Just move them side to side. I do this around 8am, 4pm, and before I go to bed. It makes for easy clean up when they hatch. If you get a turner that would be so much easier. Good luck I hope you have many many babies.
clap.gif

Quote:
Have you measured the angle that the eggs sit at with this method? Just wondering... because I read that the eggs need to rotate 40-45 degrees each direction. Under 40 degrees and there is reported more incidents of chicks pipping toward small end. Maybe the occurrence of misplaced pips is not as high as the reports say. Do you see any of that with the 1 inch piece of wood moving side to side?

i prop min against the wall of the bator in the egg carton & they have always done fine, & i also turn them 2 times a day, once at night & once in the morning.

lol i hand turn mine and havent once thought about getting a egg turner. I enjoy turning them but I turn mine like five times a day, however that being said my friend is going to send me 1 dozen eggs so I might have to get a egg turner
smile.png
But I have had 21 eggs all at once in my incubator hand turning them.

You put a x and a o on the sides... I guess it depends on you
smile.png
nothing wrong with getting a egg turner but you have to take it out though when it gets close to Lockdown
tongue.png
but it does have its benefits.... To each his own I guess.. But i like turning them makes me feel like its the natural way
smile.png
how mamma hens do it......

Back
Top Bottom