How do you unbroodify a broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miss_thenorth, Jul 2, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Mine was sitting on eggs, none of whick turned out. We took her and the eggs (some of which had exploded) out of the nest box, and took her out of the nursery. It's been three days now and she still is sitting in the regular nesting boxes. I don't know what to do with her. I have 10 one week old BRs that I hough she might adopt , but I don't want to risk losing them if she doewn't accept them.

Any ideas on how to unbroodify her?

2. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    You might have to end up putting her in a wire cage for a while. That usualy works. It depends on how determined she is. Sometimes it is pretty hard to get them to stop, and keep them stopped.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Try the wire cage trick, but hang it by a rope. All the swinging and airiness seems to knock it out of them pretty quick.

You can try putting ice cubes under her.

4. Lammie

Lammie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    My dad would say to put her in a tow sack and hang it in the air for a while, but no one knows what a tow sack it anymore!

BTW, I am old enough when I can remember animal feed coming in burlap sacks so that you always had lots of burlap around. That is what we referred to as a tow sack. I guess you could use a pillow case now.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Youd have to buy burlap, and make your own tow sack.
    The wire cage is the modern equivalent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by