how do you vaccinate for Marek's Disease?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FarmerDenise, May 8, 2008.

1. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I have the vaccine and the syringes. Does anyone have good instructions for how to mix the vaccine and vaccinate the chicks?
    My vet told me how, but I don't remember it all. I could really use some good instructions. My favorite chick hatched today and I really want to get "her" (hopefully) vaccinated.
    The vaccine came with instructions, but they are in tiny print and don't say what size needle/syringe to use for what application.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    i wish i knew

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Ok, so I couldn't find a good answer on line nor did I get a response here.
    We had no choice, but to go for it. It just took a little bit of bickering between us. We followed the directions given in teeny tiny print. Remembered some of what the vet said and mixed and injected and took pictures.
    We are pretty proud of ourselves! And I will attempt to post the photos tonight.
    After loosing most of our chicks to mysterious causes last year, we just want to do everything we can to increase their survival rate this year.
    We are also feeding medicated feed (for cocci....whatever). Keeping chicks and moms in pet carriers do to predators. Bringing them inside because it has been freezing outside.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Shoot... I wish I had seen this. I could have told you!

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:Could you LOL. I have to do all 200 chicks in a few days!

6. GoodyChickenShz

GoodyChickenShz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    The CA High Desert
    I would love to hear how to do it as well.

7. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Me too! First two hatched today. I figure I would use my diabetes syringes, they have a fine short needle, and I just need the dosage and location of injection. Obviously I don't have the nifty jiffy vaccination box the hatcheries have. Oh, when? Since they are vaccinated when shipped I suspect day one is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by