How do you wash chickens?

I wouldn't use detergents, as they are a harsher product.

For that matter, birds have used plain water, for millions of years, to bathe,
and it has worked well for them. That and preening make
them look fine.

So it is just a matter of choice.
Do you actually show? If so, and I don't think you do, have you actually ever bathed a chicken? I love the fact that someone who doesn't do something feels they're in a position to argue with someone who has years of experience.
As far as bathing birds caught in a oil spill vs washing birds for show the difference seems obvious. In one case they are trying to save a birds life so short term feather damage isn't important. However when bathing a bird for show damaging the feathers by removing the natural oils would be an issue.
It's not just a matter of choice, it's a matter of actually knowing what you're talking about or expressing an opinion based on nothing. I assume the OP actually wanted useful information.

NYRED,
How do you wash the chicken from the shoulders up? Do you have to worry about getting soap and/or water in their eyes, ears or mouth? I know you do with human kids. I have never washed a chicken before and these are concerns I have.
Thanks!
Karen

NYRED,
How do you wash the chicken from the shoulders up? Do you have to worry about getting soap and/or water in their eyes, ears or mouth? I know you do with human kids. I have never washed a chicken before and these are concerns I have.
Thanks!
Karen
I don't immerse the bird beyond the sholder. Generally the hackle isn't very dirty but I use my hand to bring water to any dirt in that area. I use a soft toothbrush to lightly scrub the comb, wattles & beak. I've had birds, in their struggle to get away, dunk their own head under water. It has never caused a problem.

birdfamily,

I'm sorry that this thread turned into a "Shoot ME Down" topic!
This does not always happen here....

btw: WELCOME TO BYC!!!!!!

You might want to do a search on the Search menu for

bathing chickens
and
Dawn Dish Soap
even Gritsar recommends it

Others have recommended Baby Shampoo....

I am not the only one who has recommended it but I have gotten shot down for it.

Just remember to use any soap in your water sparingly, especially with softer water
because that will make more suds - a high concentration is not needed.

Good Luck
with showing your birds!!

I don't immerse the bird beyond the sholder. Generally the hackle isn't very dirty but I use my hand to bring water to any dirt in that area. I use a soft toothbrush to lightly scrub the comb, wattles & beak. I've had birds, in their struggle to get away, dunk their own head under water. It has never caused a problem.
THanks, NYRED!
Now I know. Just hadn't read that addressed in any article.
Best,
Karen

When I wash my show birds, I soak them up to their shoulders in warm water (without soap in it) for about 2 or 3 minutes in a bucket outside. Then I prepare a second bucket of warm water with a splash of very mild baby shampoo, and I wash them in that for about 5 minutes. After that I put them back in the bucket with the clean warm water in it and i rinse them off in that. The head is the most difficult part to wash, but what I do is I take a cup of warm non-soap water and I quickly pour it over their head. When I dry my birds, I just towel dry them, but I have read that a hair dryer works well to. Good Luck!

after your bird is dry and ready for the show...when you get there, wipe the bird down with a piece of raw silk. It will bring shine to their feathers.
Must be raw silk. Works for smooth-coated animals too.
Karen

Last edited:
glad I stumbled on this question. We are 1st time chicken owners. My son got 26 4-H chickens and we are showing them at the county fair in a few months. I heard that it would be better if we washed them before we showed them. I have been WORRIED about that since I heard it. I am not as worried about it since I read this
big_smile.png
Our girls think they are people and I am HOPING it will go smoothly when it comes bath time.

glad I stumbled on this question. We are 1st time chicken owners. My son got 26 4-H chickens and we are showing them at the county fair in a few months. I heard that it would be better if we washed them before we showed them. I have been WORRIED about that since I heard it. I am not as worried about it since I read this
big_smile.png
Our girls think they are people and I am HOPING it will go smoothly when it comes bath time.
Good Luck!!!
thumbsup.gif

I don't show my birds, but our black silkie was trapped under a tiny bowl in the coop thanks to my friend's "city kids" not realizing how bad that was to do that....well, she was drenched in "wetness" of some sort so I brought her in for a bath. I used about a teaspoon of baby soap in a sink of warm water. She actually seemed to enjoy it.....calm, heart wasn't beating out of her chest. She is the most beautiful silkie we have now after her bath. I kinda want to wash all of my silkies now!!

Back
Top Bottom