How do you wash your eggs?

I brush off any nesting material (we use a mis of lawn clippings and sawdust), wipe off any poo. I do not rinse them off until just prior to cracking them to keep the natural coating on the eggs that Mother Nature provides to protect them from taking in too much air and spoiling faster.

Quote:
I do feel like it's important to wash in water that is at least 20 degrees warmer than the egg itself. You don't want to pull microscopic germs (like e.coli and salmonella) into the eggs, now do ya?
wink.png

The US is one of the few places in the world where we traditionally refrigerate our eggs. They don't have to be refrigerated. I have read somewhere (sorry, I am on DH's computer and don't have the link available) that eggs left on the counter age the equivalent of one week compared to eggs in the frig. for one day.

Thanks everyone! I wash my eggs in warm soapy water, rinse in warmer-than-the-egg water, air-dry, and refridgerate. I'd be content myself not washing the clean-looking eggs, but since I sell my eggs I want to have peace of mind....

Back
Top Bottom