1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do you wrap a feather foot for bumble foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, Sep 16, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have a silkie with bumble foot, how would I wrap the foot after taking care of the bumble foot? Also it is not a large spot at all but one spot and 2 smaller spots. What would be the best way to treat it, is it possible to not do surgery? Thanks!!!!

Tiny's mommy likes this.
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I am going to try and post a pic so that maybe someone can tell me if I need in fact to do anything. There doesn't seem to be any swelling. I am really trying not to stress them out any further since they are new birds and I have bathed them and dusted them. On top of had to move them around so much b/c of rain. I am just trying to figure out how you would wrap a 5 toed feather footed bird! My DH calls them alien chickens lol! But he loves them and wants to keep them inside!

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I wouldnt wrap them. Just keep them on clean bedding for a week. They heal very quickly. Just make sure to clean bedding a few times a day.

5. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    If you do decide to wrap, vet wrap might work. It is kind of like ace-bandage material, but it sticks to itself. You can get something similar at most pharmacies, too. It might have to be cut down to size, but it will not stick to those feathery feet!

6. Violetsfeathers

Violetsfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    I have a Cochin and I was wondering the same thing, how to vet wrap feathered feet.

7. Wooster Crazy

Wooster Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by