how do you...

Spring

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 10, 2007
introduce chicks to older chickens? I just have ONE rooster silkie and ONE hen silkie and 6 baby bantams. They are about 4 weeks old. Let me know. THanks. When can I put them in with them? When they get all their feathers?

I put them in a cage, like a wire dog crate (with smaller holes) and put that in the run. After a few days I let them free reange together and eventually they just all go in the coop at night. Its been very smooth transitions each time I have done it. This is how I introduce new hens also.
Good Luck.

I agree with put them in now and just watch them carefully. I put them in at 3 weeks and they've done fine ever since. They do get pecked from time to time put they run out of they way and learn to stay their distance. Just make sure their is enough food for all so they don't fight over that.

Have you considered the different feed requirements as well? My babies are never introduced until they are ready or close to ready for the same feed. Hens need a layer ration, where babies need high protein grower. The layer ration could cause problems with the chicks development. Just something to consider as well.

I also fear the size difference and have seen baby chicks get killed by older chickens, so in my opinion it is not a good idea to just put them in at that age. Ours are almost the same size as the adults when they are introduced, so they can at least stand their ground a bit without being stomped to death.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom