How do your chickens sleep??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wolf1988, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Wolf1988

Wolf1988 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Fort Worth Texas
    We have a new flock. I thought they were supposed to roost when they sleep but they have been snuggling in a pile. It's as cute as can be but will they outgrow it? They are younger. ..12 to 16 weeks, so I thought perhaps they will roost when they get older. But I've heard others say that how they decide to sleep from the start is usually how they will always sleep. Not a real big deal just curious cuz their snuggling is so cute:)
    [​IMG]

2. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    I noticed the same when i first got mine and when i got new additions. For the first week or so every evening i lifted and placed them onto the roost. They all caught on Pretty quickly. It is much better for them to roost so theyre not sitting in dung all night.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I have silkies so mine ALWAYS snuggle in a pile. They always sleep like that. I think because mine are silkies they will always choose to sleep on the ground. But yours will likely start to roost either when older or more comfortable. I wouldn't worry.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by