how docile are muscovys

roocrazy

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
minnesota!!!!
cuz i want one or make that a pair or maybe just a flock!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
love.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif
tongue2.gif
thumbsup.gif

Muscovys are they best ducks in the world!! Hands down! They are calmer and nicer than most domestic ducks. I had one female that I hatched myself that would fly to the porch every time she saw our car pull up. SHe was so sweet. Muscovys are the best ducks every. Get them!!! You better get them!
wink.png

Muscovy CAN be extremely sociable and very good companions, however, they can also be the worst duck around because of their large size, their talon-like claws, and very hard, bony 'knuckles' on the wings. If they're prone to flogging, this would be like getting hit with a big stick. Drakes raised with too much human contact can cause a lot of problems once they reach sexual maturity because they are quite prone to attacks in their quest to be the 'top dog' (this is the situation I was referring to with the 'prone to flogging', as a general rule, in my experience, Muscovy are not mean nor aggressive unless raised as pets). There is a happy medium, you just have to be aware of the potential for problems and act accordingly. Knowing how to handle them is crucial or they can be difficult to deal with which can have a lasting impression on people and turn them off of Muscovy forever.

I have a clutch of 13 ducklings now that meet me at the gate every time I come home and chatter at me and I do not pick them up and pet them or cart them around as a general rule. That's just their natural social attitude coming through.

I can only speak for me and my 2 but my 2 females are the sweetest and quietest ducks I have. I raised one of them from a baby and got the other when she was about 6 mos. old. They are both very sweet. I love my scovies!

I can also say that my muscovys are the calmest and quietest ducks I have. They are as calm as my call ducks and are fun to watch. They like to sit on top of their pen and will fly up to the house and sit on our deck. I have not had any trouble with my males being too aggressive.

My Scovies were hand raised and not only eat out of my hand and greet me everytime they see me but also like to jump into my lap.

On the other hand i have one scovie girl who I also hand raised and she doesnt want anything to do with me. I can get within a foot of her and then she flies off.

Back
Top Bottom