How does a hen increase humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jun 18, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Ok, this may be a silly question, but, everyone says to increase humidity the last 3 days. How does the hen do this?
    Krista

2. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Good question. I'll be looking for the answer too!

I find that whenever I pick them up their butts are warm as toast... so a broody hen must be really warm and steamy

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    My broody hens were always sweaty underneath the last couple of days before hatching, and all I could feel was skin, no feathers

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I was going to suggest maybe she gets sweaty.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'd say her hormones/body knows when to kick into high gear and she sets tight on the eggs....thats my high technical answer [​IMG]

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I don't think chickens or any other birds have sweat glands.

There might be some water vapor loss through the skin that helps with the humidity under a brooding hen. Just speculating.

7. ChiefZero

ChiefZero Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    personally I would think that the temp is from the hen and eggs, but more hens, but the humidity is actually the egg. When you think about it they can "sweat" and in a small area they would actually increase the humidity, and the inside of a egg is very wet and the egg's pores would allow some moisture out. Heat would also help humidty rise......................also magic probably helps! hehe

just some things I think
    ChiefZero

8. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Also if the hen stops turning the eggs and doesn't move, all the moisture stays there. When she's turning the eggs on a regular basis, she's letting all the humidity out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by