how does anyone candle a dark marans egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by berkeleysprings, Mar 18, 2009.

1. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

how in the world do people do it ?

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    LOL, for the most part, you don't. If you have a very very good candler then you can see some things that will indicate growth or not and movement for a while at later incubation stages but you can not candle them in the same way you do other eggs. They are simply way too dark and the shells to dense.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I gave up trying to see much in them years ago. Now I just keep an eye on the aircell to see that it's growing. The latter half of incubation most of the time you can tell if there's a growing chick in it just from the darkness.

4. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Very bright light in a very dark room, let your eyes adjust to the dark for about 5 minutes and then use a good dose of imagination and you might see something.

I hatched some BCMs. Only managed to candle about half. The others were just too dark.

5. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I am having the same problem with some EE and EExAustralorp eggs. The EExAus ones are a real dark olive green and impossible to see into. I am just hoping for the best. If they dont smell, they get to stay til a day or two past hatch day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by