How does everyone mangage breeding records?

I manage breeding records in the following way. I mark the eggs from the hens, and when they hatch out, I toe punch the chicks. Then when they are quite a bit older, say 4 to 6 months, after two or three culling sessions already, I put bandettes on them. Bandettes are not just for chicks. If you show your birds, they must have leg bands, and most breeders prefer bandettes. I generally use a different color each year so at a quick glance, I can tell how old they are. I would suggest Twin City Poultry supply, or Smith's poultry supply (you can google them) as a place to purchase bandettes. They are quite a bit cheaper than Murray McMurray (half the price, I think) This next year, I also plan to start wing banding my young birds. As stated in a previous post, it is permanent, and you can order them custom numbered. The reason for the bandettes, is they are just easier at a glance to identify birds, because when the bird is mature, sometimes it's a pain to read the wing band. Then I put the information in a notebook, as well as on my computer. Also this coming year, I'm going to try a new software for poultry record keeping, and I may post how that goes. The two supply companies I listed above, have a list of what sizes fit what breeds. Off of the top of my head, the faverolles bantams are a size 9 for both male and female and I believe size 11 or 12 for Large Ameraucanas. Generally I can tell my birds apart without the use of leg bands, but without the bands, I could never remember any information about that particular bird, such as parents, or who was the birds brothers and sisters. That is very useful information when putting together breeding pens.

David

Rock N' Faverolles :

I manage breeding records in the following way. I mark the eggs from the hens, and when they hatch out, I toe punch the chicks. Then when they are quite a bit older, say 4 to 6 months, after two or three culling sessions already, I put bandettes on them. Bandettes are not just for chicks. If you show your birds, they must have leg bands, and most breeders prefer bandettes. I generally use a different color each year so at a quick glance, I can tell how old they are. I would suggest Twin City Poultry supply, or Smith's poultry supply (you can google them) as a place to purchase bandettes. They are quite a bit cheaper than Murray McMurray (half the price, I think) This next year, I also plan to start wing banding my young birds. As stated in a previous post, it is permanent, and you can order them custom numbered. The reason for the bandettes, is they are just easier at a glance to identify birds, because when the bird is mature, sometimes it's a pain to read the wing band. Then I put the information in a notebook, as well as on my computer. Also this coming year, I'm going to try a new software for poultry record keeping, and I may post how that goes. The two supply companies I listed above, have a list of what sizes fit what breeds. Off of the top of my head, the faverolles bantams are a size 9 for both male and female and I believe size 11 or 12 for Large Ameraucanas. Generally I can tell my birds apart without the use of leg bands, but without the bands, I could never remember any information about that particular bird, such as parents, or who was the birds brothers and sisters. That is very useful information when putting together breeding pens.

David

Thanks David That is great and very helpful infomation!!

I have used Smith Poultry before just forgot about them they have great prices and awsome service! Thats where I will get my Bandetts I guess. I have started a document on Word that has a little blurb about each breeding bird in my flock and with the faverolles it has the leg band # color and the foot its on. Hattricksilkies the previous owner told me what the colors meant so I can tell which pullets are 4-6months and which ones are hens that are a year old. I think I will stick with the system with bandetts I may also be getting the software your talking about not sure yet.

Thanks Again,
Henry​

Back
Top Bottom