How does everyone mangage breeding records?

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
Hi,
I am new to chicken breeding and tonight I went out and took each of my Faverolles out and used the leg bands that their previouse owner put on the birds. I just used a legal pad and then put it as a word document on my laptop. I need to band the flock of Ameraucana because I cannot tell the hens and pullets apart from each other. Breeders what type of bands do you use? The Faverolles have large colorful bandetts. What do you use to keep your flock records? Do you agree I should band the Ameraucana hens? Even though I am really small scale I really like having a record of each bird I own. Just want input from other more experianced breeders.

Thanks,
Henry

Mods if you want to move this to breeds genetice etc... go ahead I think it might actually be more apropriate.

Thanks,
Henry

I'm small like you.. but I've got my pullets memorized and I even know who lays which egg by size, shape, color, texture etc...

Before I put them in the bator they will be marked and then I'll mark the chicks so that I know where they came from.

Quote:
It would take note cards and a month to be able to tell all 7 Black Ameraucana apart
lol.png
I will be able to tell the faverolls pretty much apart soon but the Ameraucana well I guess its just harder with black birds. Hmm I don't know.

Mahonri- How do you tell the wheaten and blue wheaten girls apart? I guess I can tell at least two of the ameraucana apart. There is (dark face girl) (small girl) But then there are the two sets of Identical pullets! The big bearded really nice ladies and then the smaller but really nice ladies I have no idea how to tell them apart! Then I am getting one blue pullet and one black pullet from Paul Smith next week hopefully I can gell them apart. I just don't know it takes a long time with no bands for me where as with the Faverolles I can pick them up because they are so snuggly and friendly and twist around their band or even tell which foot its on an color it is. For example Pink Bands on Left food = 1yo hens 1 Blue Salmon who is BEAUTIFUL!! 2 regular salmons who are also great. Then there are the pullets all salmons. red band on L leg equals pullet # 3 red band on R leg is #1 pullet and Green band on L leg is # 2 pullet.

So ha ha its still complicated but I feel like leg band make is easier espeacially with the Black Ameraucana flock.

Thanks,
Henry

Quote:
I think I will use MurryMcmurry they show a picture of the plastic bandetts at the very bottom of the page. It does seem like a better deal.

Thanks,
Henry

Henry, wing bands are the most practical and they are permenent. Leg bands can be damaged or lost and the bandetts are only good for chicks and you must constantly monitor them so they don`t get too tight. Most breeders use wing bands on birds from the time they are featherred. Sounds like you have a good system started. Good luck......Pop

Quote:
Thanks Pop I guess the bandetts are on these guys because they are bantams. Wing bands honestly kinda freak me out don't know if I could do that
hmm.png

Henry

Back
Top Bottom