How does everyone sanitize their eatin' eggs?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PearlD, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:I agree we never wash ours and very seldom do we have a soiled egg if so a paper towel and some water will clean it up.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    We don't wash our eggs either.....

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    No washing eggs here (I have enough washing with dishes and clothing and dirty kids!)

4. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    I saw on food network that salmonella (sp?) is carried on the shell and that eggs should be washed just prior to cracking it open and not before. [​IMG]

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I heard that if you wash with colder water than the egg is, it can cause bacteria to enter the egg.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If I am making mayonnaise (or any other raw or less-than-fully-cooked egg product, if I were unlazy enough to make 'em) I will wipe with a hot wet cloth any egg with any suspicion of pooeyness, and I try to be a little extra careful when cracking it.

Anything else, I figure any minor bacterial load is going to get cooked, so I do not worry about it.

JMHO,

Pat

7. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Personally, I crack my eggs into the pan very carefully and then wash my hands. No egg washing. Not even the wal-mart eggs... [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She says she doesn't eat eggs from a chicken.............WHAAAA?
    She says she gets them at Wal-mart.

Um, and where does she think WalMart gets them? Walmart Egg Elves in their workshop? [​IMG]

Janet, I have to tell you it does go against my grain to put a potential Suede baby in the fridge as an eating egg, LOL.​

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Walmart eggs??

They must come from china... LOL

10. I just googled "bloom," and it says when the eggs are washed in production facilities, they are then coated with an edible oil to replace the bloom. I pulled an egg out yesterday, rinsed it with water, and it went into the fridge. How long should it last?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by