How does everyone sanitize their eatin' eggs?

PearlD

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2007
Northwest Alabama
I looked for a sticky, but couldn't find it.

I clean my eggs with a scrubber sponge and dish soap.......
ep.gif
Is this bad? Good? In one year, we have never been sick using this method.

In fact, I'm glad I brought that up
big_smile.png
.........What are the dangers of eating an egg that hasn't been sanitized properly?

I never wash mine unless there is poop on them. If they come out of the nest clean, they go right in the carton. If you wash them, you remove the bloom, the coating they are laid with, what resists bacteria to a degree. Actually you are not supposed to wash them. You dont eat the shells, right?

Last edited:
We do not "sanitize" the eggs,
smile.png
If there is one covered in poo, I just give it to the dogs/pigs/ducks/chickens..whatever. You are taking off the "bloom" by all that scrubbing but you know what?..........we each do it our own way
wink.png
I am old and never had a problem with not sanitizing the eggs. I sell my eggs straight from the nest...NO CLEANING. My customers understand about the bloom and they can do as they please when they get them home. If you type in "bloom" you should get loads of info on why you need to keep it, but like I said, if it bothers you and you just cannot keep from doing it..........it is strickly up to you. The world will not come to an end.
thumbsup.gif

I have never heard of sanitizing eggs. I have always eaten them as they arrive unless they are especially icky. Even my most germaphobic friends don't wash their eggs. There are no chemicals or other toxic stuff on them which is why you wash most stuff.

I think you are just fine with what you are doing.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?????
You mean to tell me that you don't wash the eggs???? I have wasted AT LEAST 5 hours of my life washing eggs. Wash the eggs. Wash the eggs. I hear it in my sleep.

I thought that maybe some bacteria was on the shell, and when you crack it open, it may come in contact with the yolk/white.

And here I was, thinking i knew it all........
tongue.png

My impression is that washing them makes them less safe to eat because you have washed off the protective barrier that keeps out bacteria and other "bad stuff'.
I never wash them other than knocking off poop if it gets on them.

I agree with ozark, dont sweat it. Either way is fine. I dont wash mine unless its necessary to remove crud but I dont tell my customers anything about it. They usually come out really clean from the nests anyway.

Back
Top Bottom