Bourbon Red Heritage Hatching Eggs

JennieLamb

Chirping
Aug 28, 2023
Hi everyone, So after our BBB Turks sudden escape/disappearance around the 7 week mark, we decided to get Bourbon Red Heritage Turks. So they came in around early July, and started laying Monday March 11th. So, first, it doesn't matter how clean the boxes are, it's been muddy and they're MESSY! So there are no such things are clean turkey eggs for hatching here! Also, they JUST started laying, is hatcha ility low during the first few days from our hens? Can we hatch muddy/poopy eggs? I've seen wash them in water warmer than then internal egg temps, sandpaper, 1/10 bleach n water, 1/10 peroxide and water, etc. the common denominator tho was sanitize the incubator, sanitize you hands before moving the eggs, never even open the incubator with dirty hands, sanitize hands before touching, sanitize candles etc. Sooo, uh what do I do? I mean I warmed up vetericyns microcyn poultry wound sanitizer and wiped with that and paper towels and it oddly feels like part of the bloom is still there since they are a bit "sticky" if I hold them for a min. Needles to say they're now incubating. Someone tell me if this is ok, I did it wrong, totally effed up etc. just...send help.

Hi everyone, So after our BBB Turks sudden escape/disappearance around the 7 week mark, we decided to get Bourbon Red Heritage Turks. So they came in around early July, and started laying Monday March 11th. So, first, it doesn't matter how clean the boxes are, it's been muddy and they're MESSY! So there are no such things are clean turkey eggs for hatching here! Also, they JUST started laying, is hatcha ility low during the first few days from our hens? Can we hatch muddy/poopy eggs? I've seen wash them in water warmer than then internal egg temps, sandpaper, 1/10 bleach n water, 1/10 peroxide and water, etc. the common denominator tho was sanitize the incubator, sanitize you hands before moving the eggs, never even open the incubator with dirty hands, sanitize hands before touching, sanitize candles etc. Sooo, uh what do I do? I mean I warmed up vetericyns microcyn poultry wound sanitizer and wiped with that and paper towels and it oddly feels like part of the bloom is still there since they are a bit "sticky" if I hold them for a min. Needles to say they're now incubating. Someone tell me if this is ok, I did it wrong, totally effed up etc. just...send help.
Should hatching eggs be cleaned

Back
Top Bottom