Red Bourbon Turkeys?

MamaPoult

🎶As soon as I get out here on the outskirts🎶
Premium Feather Member
Jan 20, 2024
The Woods AK
Hey all, I am looking at maybe buying some Red Bourbon turkeys. I heard they are really good layers for turkeys. Is that true? What are some pros and cons? I've done a couple hours of research so far but again, online information🙄.

1. Meat production?

2. Egg production?

3. Docile?

4. Cold and hot weather hardy?

Thanks guys!

Hey all, I am looking at maybe buying some Red Bourbon turkeys. I heard they are really good layers for turkeys. Is that true? What are some pros and cons? I've done a couple hours of research so far but again, online information🙄.

1. Meat production?

2. Egg production?

3. Docile?

4. Cold and hot weather hardy?

Thanks guys!
Bourbon Red turkeys are as good of layers as any of the other heritage turkeys. How well a hen lays is more dependent on the individual hen than which variety she is. They like all other turkeys are seasonal layers. Do not expect them to lay like chickens. In season some lay an egg every other day, some two days in a row before skipping a day, some 3 days in a row before skipping a day.

once they have a large enough clutch of eggs, they will go broody.

If your intent to collect all their eggs, you will need to seed the nests with fake eggs. Sorry they don't make any fake turkey eggs. I use ceramic goose eggs for mine.

Adult toms (1 year plus) can dress out from 20 to 24 lbs. If plucked when there are no pin feathers, they present a nice clean carcass. Adult hens will be around 10 lbs. lighter.

For a 8 to12 lb. carcass, males can be harvested around 6 months old.

Docility will depend on how you raise them. If you imprint while they are in the brooder, the adult males are very likely to become human aggressive. I strongly recommend minimal contact with the poults in the brooder to avoid human imprinting them.

Turkeys are much more cold tolerant than than are heat tolerant. They do require shade from the sun even in the middle of the winter.

Mine roost outside at night in an area that is protected from the prevailing wind. They had no issues with the -40°F temperature during the winter of 2022-23 and no problems when it was -34°F this winter.

Bourbon Red turkeys are as good of layers as any of the other heritage turkeys. How well a hen lays is more dependent on the individual hen than which variety she is. They like all other turkeys are seasonal layers. Do not expect them to lay like chickens. In season some lay an egg every other day, some two days in a row before skipping a day, some 3 days in a row before skipping a day.

once they have a large enough clutch of eggs, they will go broody.

If your intent to collect all their eggs, you will need to seed the nests with fake eggs. Sorry they don't make any fake turkey eggs. I use ceramic goose eggs for mine.

Adult toms (1 year plus) can dress out from 20 to 24 lbs. If plucked when there are no pin feathers, they present a nice clean carcass. Adult hens will be around 10 lbs. lighter.

For a 8 to12 lb. carcass, males can be harvested around 6 months old.

Docility will depend on how you raise them. If you imprint while they are in the brooder, the adult males are very likely to become human aggressive. I strongly recommend minimal contact with the poults in the brooder to avoid human imprinting them.

Turkeys are much more cold tolerant than than are heat tolerant. They do require shade from the sun even in the middle of the winter.

Mine roost outside at night in an area that is protected from the prevailing wind. They had no issues with the -40°F temperature during the winter of 2022-23 and no problems when it was -34°F this winter.
Bourbon red got it! Thanks for all the info! I think I'll get some. Shade is not an issue for us so that'll be easy! I like the sound of their weight that is definitely enticing! Thanks again R2elk!!

Back
Top Bottom