How does it work help

Alex208

Chirping
Jul 11, 2017
How does it work does a hen go broody after being mated with a rooster or she just lay fertile eggs and doesn't incubate them or what is the process and how would I make my rhold island red mixed hens go broody

Hens lay eggs all of the time, but most hatchery breeds won't go broody (broody hens don't lay eggs = drop in profits.) Even if there's a rooster, the chicken simply has no desire to set. Often, hens will set if no rooster is present.

You appear to have sexlinks in your profile picture. Those are almost guaranteed not to go broody. Cochins, silkies, pekin bantams, game hens, buff orpingtons, and many heritage chicken breeds will go broody.

Eggs can sit without being brooded for about ten days before fertility begins to decline.

If you want to hatch eggs, buy a broody breed or buy an incubator.

Good luck!

How does it work does a hen go broody after being mated with a rooster or she just lay fertile eggs and doesn't incubate them or what is the process and how would I make my rhold island red mixed hens go broody

Hormones, breed, instinct and lighting conditions all play a part in making a hen go broody. Having a rooster makes no difference and you can't make a hen go broody.

Nope, you can't force it. If a hen goes broody it's a hormonal thing. She will lay a bunch of eggs and not leave the nest except for an hour or two a day. That's how you know she is broody. She seems to be on the nest all the time! If you have no rooster even if a hen is broody and sets on eggs, if they are not fertile they will just rot. I had two hens go broody last spring. One was a Colombian Wyandotte and one was a Black Giant. The Wyandotte didn't quite get it and would leave the nest for an hour and return to a different nest, leaving her eggs. I took her eggs from her. The black giant (who's name was Bucky) hatched two eggs successfully, out of 6, a hen and a rooster. It seemed to have taken months and neither hen laid the entire time. I sell eggs and it didn't help with production! I found it to be a big pain!

Back
Top Bottom