How does Marek's present in an older (2+ years) bird?

Ebethaliz

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2023
Does anybody have experience with Marek's in older birds? Do they get the classic leg paralysis/splits?

I have 12 Rhode Island Reds who will be 3 in April and they have been absolutely great--healthy and beautiful up to this point. I've been so careful and obsessed with them and I feel like I jinxed myself last Saturday bragging that I hadn't lost a one🥺 I went out to count them after they roosted last night and one was on the floor. It looks like classic Marek's; she can't stand, and one leg wants to go out front while the other is underneath. Her wings and neck are not paralyzed at all, and she can thrash around, but generally acts lethargic and under the weather. When I brought her into the house to look at her one eye was squeezed shut, don't know what's going on there. I tried to give her water and she proceeded to flip out and thrash her wings until I took her back to the coop and put her in a nest box. I assumed it was Marek's but I've been researching it a lot and I'm seeing sources which imply that Marek's in older birds does NOT present with classic leg paralysis. This video is an example, and she's a vet and seems knowledgeable; she says it around 1:20. Also, my bird is overall lethargic and wouldn't drink for me and I'm seeing sources say that a Marek's bird is normal and has a "will to live" except for the paralysis keeping them down.

Some backstory; don't know if they're vaccinated or not, probably not. I looked up the hatchery and they offer the vaccine as an add-on. I don't remember selecting it. Thing is, I never thought contagious diseases would be an issue; These were my first birds as an adult; I raised them from chicks, they went in a completely brand-new coop, no chickens anywhere in the vicinity and hadn't been for, probably, ever. Completely virgin chicken habitat, and I haven't even gone around other birds (not by choice, I just haven't). If this is Marek's obviously I have to vaccinate chicks going forward forever and it will probably kill the rest of this flock; I'm just hoping it's anything but.

The only other thing I can come up with that could cause this is apparently egg binding could put pressure on a nerve to paralyze the legs, and I've read some examples of this but it seems like this would be rare whereas Marek's is common. I'm going to get her as soon as it's light and see if I can figure out if she's egg bound, assuming she's still alive. I'm just feeling so sick that my perfect flock of twelve will likely never be the same.

Update: She 's still alive but very sick. She's sitting fluffed up in the nest box and can still move her wings but wants to droop her head. I'm not sure if it's paralysis or just being sick. Still has the one eye squeezed shut but the open one in normal. She ate some hot mash for me, but didn't seem too keen on it; it was like she was just pecking it out of instinct when I showed it to her good eye. I can't find and sign of a stuck egg.

I would say it's most likely NOT Marek's. Paralysis is usually caused by nerve damages. There are so many things that can lead to nerve damages. The #1 cause is tumor. Although Marek's is famous for causing nerve tumor, it's not always the case. Since you didn't bring other chickens into your flock, you have a very small chance to get Marek's. Many other diseases, or even if she just happened to injured her head, could lead to paralysis. Try to give her some vitamin B 100 complex and vitamin E to help the nerve damage.

wow, so sorry she (and you) are going through this, whatever it is! I'm glad you joined us, in any case. Welcome! Hopefully some of our other experts will pop in as well, with more insight. Meanwhile, can you tell us where in the world you're located so we know what climate you're dealing with? Is there anything you can think of that changed in their environment recently?

Central KY--we're having a cool fall, and it's 60-70's in the day and 50s at night--also very dry and droughty for the past couple of months.

I would say it's most likely NOT Marek's. Paralysis is usually caused by nerve damages. There are so many things that can lead to nerve damages. The #1 cause is tumor. Although Marek's is famous for causing nerve tumor, it's not always the case. Since you didn't bring other chickens into your flock, you have a very small chance to get Marek's. Many other diseases, or even if she just happened to injured her head, could lead to paralysis. Try to give her some vitamin B 100 complex and vitamin E to help the nerve damage.
I hope you're right. I'm afraid she's a goner regardless but I don't want to watch the others die. They're acting fine right now.

Update: I decided to treat her for egg binding even though I couldn't feel an egg so I gave her a warm bath with epsom salts; she seemed to like it and kind of relaxed and went into a trance state. I also put warm compresses on the closed eye in case it was stuck shut; she seemed to appreciate that too but hasn't opened the eye. I'm worried that after she flopped the other chickens bullied her and hurt her eye; I can't think of anything else. I syringe fed her some sugar water with calcium and vitamin E; I didn't have any B vitamins. Since folks seem to think it's not likely Marek's I'm going to continue nursing her for a while. I just feel like I'm grasping at straws, like OF COURSE if you have a chicken doing the splits it's Marek's and anything else is wishful thinking. Hope I'm wrong; would also love any insight on the age thing.
I had to go to class so I won't see her again till 4; she's in a private place with food and water so hopefully she lasts that long.

It won’t hurt to treat her for injury or a vitamin deficiency, and an infection or inflammation of an internal organ could also cause a problem. But she could have Mareks. If you don’t see progress and lose her, I would try to get a necropsy by your state vet to look for Mareks and other causes of lameness. Have you added any new birds recently who might have been a carrier?

Back
Top Bottom