How does Marek's present in an older (2+ years) bird?

It won’t hurt to treat her for injury or a vitamin deficiency, and an infection or inflammation of an internal organ could also cause a problem. But she could have Mareks. If you don’t see progress and lose her, I would try to get a necropsy by your state vet to look for Mareks and other causes of lameness. Have you added any new birds recently who might have been a carrier?
Nope. It's been those twelve since chicks. Actually it was a batch of 25 chicks but the extra pullets and an accidental rooster went to live on a relative's farm. But no other chickens have come in, ever.

Last edited:
Update for anyone interested: She's still here and doing better overall. Her legs are still paralyzed, the right one more so than the left. She can still move the left, although she can't stand on it. The right is completely limp. There doesn't seem to be any pain, so I don't think it's injured. Also I don't think she could possibly be egg bound at this point, especially since she's pooping. At this point I'm thinking it's either riboflavin deficiency, the M-word, or some other weird form of nerve damage. I'm focusing on the vitamin deficiency since it seems like the only thing she could come back from.

She eats and drinks now if I hold the dish up for her. I have to keep reminding her but then she'll snatch at it like she's really hungry/thirsty. If I don't hold it up to her she just ignores it however. I've been giving her B-complex for humans since the poultry vitamins I ordered haven't come yet. I tried to dissolve the pill in water and it didn't dissolve, but got sticky and soft, and she was happy to eat it. Apparently it was delicious. So she's had a massive dose of riboflavin now and I can give her another tomorrow. I gave her calcium and vitamin E as well. Overall she is acting much more like a normal chicken whose legs don't work and less like an overall sick chicken. Her eye is still seemingly glued shut but that might just be a lost cause.

I would still appreciate any input or experience from people on how either Marek's or riboflavin deficiency affects a bird of her age (nearly 3); most of what I can find is about young developing birds. Since she doesn't seem to be suffering I'm just going to continue taking care of her and see what happens.

Hi there! I am experiencing something very similar to you and I am trying to figure it out too. My chicken, Nutmeg (3yr), was walking a little slowly one day and then the next morning I found her on the bottom of the roost because her legs stopped working. She will eat and drink when I put it in front of her. I have been giving her calcium citrate with her water as a precaution. I also put in a little apple cider vinegar in her water and vet Rx twice. I don't think she is egg bound, but when she had finished molting, I think she was the one that was laying some big eggs, but she is pooping and eating. She is tired a lot. Only her legs don't work, but Im not sure if completely. Her wings still kind of move, but not a lot. Neck seems to be fine, but when I lay her down she will let her head and neck lay. I think its Marek's, but not sure. I don't even know if she can get her legs to work again. Its been almost a week. I know some can come back after a few weeks. She isn't getting worse, but she is not really getting better. No chicken vet by me and don't know how long to wait before putting her down. My other chickens are fine. Let me know how yours is doing and if anyone else knows anything else to try. I think I might add the vitamin b and e to her diet too

Hi there! I am experiencing something very similar to you and I am trying to figure it out too. My chicken, Nutmeg (3yr), was walking a little slowly one day and then the next morning I found her on the bottom of the roost because her legs stopped working. She will eat and drink when I put it in front of her. I have been giving her calcium citrate with her water as a precaution. I also put in a little apple cider vinegar in her water and vet Rx twice. I don't think she is egg bound, but when she had finished molting, I think she was the one that was laying some big eggs, but she is pooping and eating. She is tired a lot. Only her legs don't work, but Im not sure if completely. Her wings still kind of move, but not a lot. Neck seems to be fine, but when I lay her down she will let her head and neck lay. I think its Marek's, but not sure. I don't even know if she can get her legs to work again. Its been almost a week. I know some can come back after a few weeks. She isn't getting worse, but she is not really getting better. No chicken vet by me and don't know how long to wait before putting her down. My other chickens are fine. Let me know how yours is doing and if anyone else knows anything else to try. I think I might add the vitamin b and e to her diet too
Mine died a week ago on Sunday, unfortunately. I'm still waiting on results from the necropsy so I'll at least know what it was. Her legs never started working again, but she seemed like she was a bit stronger and feistier, and kept trying to push up on the one semi-working leg, and I thought maybe she turned a corner. Then I found her dead with no warning. She had started with some wheezy breathing though so it might have been something respiratory. Either way I would say taking care of yours for a while longer and giving her the vitamins won't hurt. I'll post the necropsy results as soon as I get them.

Mine died a week ago on Sunday, unfortunately. I'm still waiting on results from the necropsy so I'll at least know what it was. Her legs never started working again, but she seemed like she was a bit stronger and feistier, and kept trying to push up on the one semi-working leg, and I thought maybe she turned a corner. Then I found her dead with no warning. She had started with some wheezy breathing though so it might have been something respiratory. Either way I would say taking care of yours for a while longer and giving her the vitamins won't hurt. I'll post the necropsy results as soon as I get them.
Did you get an ETA on the results? I am curious about your results. I am going through some similar stuff right now.

Well, so far mine is still alive. I started giving her vitamin B complex (turned her water yellow) and vitamin E. She is eating perfectly fine. Most of the time she likes splaying out like in the pictures, but she huddles up more when she sleeps. Yesterday she did try propping herself up more. Almost like a sit position. I have given her a couple of epsom bath salts in hopes that it helps and to clean her butt up a bit. Pooping normally besides sticking to her butt. I keep her in the living room when we are home otherwise she is in a dog crate when we are at work. Besides her legs not working she has been acting perfectly normal. Also, I have her pellets soak in olive oil to soften them and I heard olive oil is good for them. She does get scrambled eggs and other goodies here and there and has no problem eating them. Is there anything else I should try. I have not made a chicken hammock yet. Will that help with her legs?

Attachments

• Nutmeg 1.jpg
    Nutmeg 1.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Nutmeg 2.jpg
    Nutmeg 2.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom