How does my coop look?

Do your winter winds/storm winds come from a consistent direction? If so, you might be best served by turning your leeward wall into all wire so as to turn your coop into an Open Air design.
Not really, the general wind does, but in a storm it tends to go all over the place.
I can't see the entire roofline in the photos. Is it peaked or a single slope?
Single slope.
Getting ventilation at the very top of the roof is desirable in a hot climate because it lets the heat out and draws the cool air up from below via the chimney effect.
The highest point is above the main door, and I think there's room for a vent there, so that might be good I guess.

Your temperatures are very similar to ours. I would keep the wall ventilation and add more above their heads as well. My girls appreciate the roost level ventilation in the heat of summer. We also added a hinged window cover that we can raise and lower depending upon the weather.
back coop.jpg
Nice coop!
It sounds quite good if we can a removable cover over the vent thats there is the moment, so in cold windy weather it can be covered over and in hot weather can be open.

It sounds quite good if we can a removable cover over the vent thats there is the moment, so in cold windy weather it can be covered over and in hot weather can be open.
Just make sure that even in cold weather, there's still some ventilation left open, even if a buffer is used, as you want to let moisture out in cold temperatures to minimize chance of frostbite.

Just make sure that even in cold weather, there's still some ventilation left open, even if a buffer is used, as you want to let moisture out in cold temperatures to minimize chance of frostbite.
Will do!
I would only close it once there's some more vents in a less drafty spot.

Will do!
I would only close it once there's some more vents in a less drafty spot.
The nice thing about having the cover on a hinge is that you can keep it cracked open in the winter- blocking the wind, but still allowing airflow. We only completely close windows during storms, but make sure to open the side opposite the wind more to make up for the closed side.

The blue lines are the airflow through the vents at the top and bottom of the roof slope. Here's the full article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/
All the other pics make sense,(and its a great article) but I still can't quite get my head around this one.
The main black line around the out side is the coop walls right? So what are the black lines in the coop? But I think I've got quite a good idea of whats wanted, so you can just ignore my thick headedness.

Back
Top Bottom