How does one catch a groundhog?

HennysMom

Keeper of the Tiara
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Somewhere Over the Rainbow, VA
roll.png
he's trolling my garden... and eating everything!!

I have a trap set..(cage) but.....he doesnt want to go IN the dang thing!
hmm.png
I need him to get in the cage so we can dispose of it (cannot relocate groundhogs, its against the law)

Any ideas of what to put in it? He keeps going around it into the garden and short of sitting out there all day/night with a 22 or 9 mm... uhm.. yeah... I dont want to do that ALL DAY...
roll.png

Have you called Bill Murray??? If not here is a movie all about this process,...it's called Caddy shack a must see for groundhog maintanance

A foot trap set at the opening of the hole he uses most should do it for you.

If you want to shoot him, groundhogs usually come out first thing in the morning, eat their fill and then go sleep it off. Then they come back out in the evening and gorge again.

There is another method I have used that if you are interested in, pm me.

I had the same problem and could not cage him because there were too many things to eat without having to go in a cage. Drive him away..put ammonia in each hole at the same time. They hate goat poop and other animals so dump that there as well. Put a radio in the garden and put up some pinwheels as they have excellent hearing and are a bit timid. They sure are destructive but they can be stopped. Firecrackers around their area. As a last resort there is always apples with marshmallows covered with antifreeze (this is toxic to everything so keep your eye on it. Good luck

If you cant shoot it because of firearm laws a foot trap will work great but beware of non target animals especially around your house. If those are not options a buddy of mine bought a stick that I believe you light or ignite like a road fusee. what you do is find the animals entrance and exit hole. ( they always have two ) seal one hole and drop the stick down the other hole and the seal that hole. This must be done at night when the critter is in there sleeping. The stick lets out some kind of CO2 gas that will suffocate the dude. I'm sorry I don't know what it is called but he did find it at a local hardware store or possibly a farm supply store.

take a hose and your car to the hole they go down and connect the hose to your exhaust and start you engine and enjoy a cd in the process.

They do love peaches, set a live trap with peaches. We traped quite a few like this. Most where dead when we found them, I am guessing from heart attack.

Cant use a foot trap - I dont think thats humane
hmm.png
(sorry) so thats why we have the cage.

I cant find the actual burrow because its underneath TONS of wood and brush (uhm... I'm not going in there.. snakes!!
th.gif
) so we know a general location of where he's at/coming from (he's in the woods at the edge of the property).

Will try a peach... I have tomato and some kind of scent thing our neighbor (who's a trapper actually LOL) gave us..but the little bugger keeps going around the traps as I've said. Garden is just too tempting I guess.

Ugh... looks like DH is going to be out there sitting tonight
roll.png

We used the things that Callemin did with good results but if you can't find or get to the entrance and exits of the burrow, obviously, you need another way. Have you tried baiting the trap with something not in your garden - I think peaches was advised or the whistle pig we had just loved cantalopes and honeydew melons...Good luck as they are smart, wiley little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom