How does one catch a groundhog?

Big little chicken has some great ideas. Try peanut butter. It gives off an aroma that they can't resist and it sticks to the bait dohickey so they have to really get in there.

It is illegal to relocate here also but we do anyway. Just can't kill something that is just going about it's business. Just my opinion. No one start yelling at me. We relocate near water and far away from any houses.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Put a 220 conibear trap at the entrance to his burrow. Make sure to stake it down so that it won't move when he tries to go through it. It will snap his neck so you won't have to "put him down".

Quote:
My friend has a Jack Russel mix and we were talking aobut the things getting under the fence and how they found the dog laying next to a dead one one day.... what do the dogs do and what happened to it heart attack? I do not think it had marks on it or they would say.

Quote:
gig.gif

Quote:
The 220 conibear is what I use and have lent them out to my neighbors with 100% satisfaction. I didn't recommend them because most people don't have them. But you are right they work great because they will be dead upon entering the trap.

We managed to drive our groundhogs away using the clumped up "waste products" from our cat litter box. Here today, gone tomorrow!
big_smile.png
I know that you mentioned that they are somewhere in a big brush pile and are not sure of exactly where their burrow entrance is, but if you put some good ole, readily accessible cat byproducts in there, they'll be gone. Well, at least it worked for me! Best of luck to you!

Sandy

why not a 2 foot poultry fence around yer garden? They make great pets too ya know,,,,,,,,,,,

25-06, 12guage, 410, 22 all known as lead poision.

OR.....

conibear are excellent. They are classified as gripping traps and inhumane, which is just plain silly since it is instant death. or...you can go the inhumane route and get those sticky rat traps and anchor them in front of the entrance. Odds are he'll die a miserable death though, even though thos same people that subbed the conibear as inhumane, think its a great trap.

Jack Russell is a great idea. Drop a big rattler down there. Pour gasoline. Drop one of those sulphur bombs, but all those require an entrance....

rebaited the traps last night.... we'll see what we get. Nothing so far.

I dont want to kill it either but... to relocate it.....uhm... I cant rightly do that given our neighbor is a trapper and they're his traps - he knows that we are trapping it and if we relocate it... he'll know
hide.gif
and I know he's a by the book guy. We also have Game Wardens as neighbors... (talk about pressure ROFL
gig.gif
) so... yeahhhhh..... relocating is not an option when they all see your traps set.

to the poster who said put a fence up: We have a fence up around the garden... and it gets through it
hmm.png
If determined enough - any predator will get through anything.
hmm.png

Thanks everyone - will try peanut butter too! (do-hickey.. ha ha .. made me giggle..is that the official thing we're calling it because thats what I called it yesterday on the phone with DH)
lau.gif
That goes right along with thing-a-ma-jig
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom