How does one Check the Crop?

The crop is located on the right side of the bird's chest. At the end of the day, after they eat a lot, you can see a lump there. To feel the crop, you just put your hand under the feathers and feel the area. A normal crop will be soft, but not squishy, and you shouldn't feel any hard masses inside.

The crop should also be completely empty in the morning. If you were checking to see if it is emptying properly, you would take their food away after they go to bed, then in the morning check to make sure it is empty. If it is truly empty, it will feel flat. You really won't be able to feel it at all.

For me, I just take a look at the chickens and make sure their crops are empty on the morning. Of course feeling it would be much more accurate, but I like my morning to be quick and easy. I will feel for any food left in their crops every once in awhile as well. Their crops are in their upper right.

Since finishing up my new open air coop I've been handling them quite a bit more since learning bout this crop thing...I still have no clue what/where to feel on them.
Silly question as usual but all silkies...is it the same for them? Or perhaps more difficult to locate on them?
Cause it was bout 7 last night they had been forging all day as well as eating food n scratch and I didn't feel anything on 2...and after feeling around felt what was more like a bone.
That chick hasn't shown any signs if being sick or anything so I couldn't have been in the right spot.

Since finishing up my new open air coop I've been handling them quite a bit more since learning bout this crop thing...I still have no clue what/where to feel on them.
Silly question as usual but all silkies...is it the same for them? Or perhaps more difficult to locate on them?
Cause it was bout 7 last night they had been forging all day as well as eating food n scratch and I didn't feel anything on 2...and after feeling around felt what was more like a bone.
That chick hasn't shown any signs if being sick or anything so I couldn't have been in the right spot.
Practice makes perfect! 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom