How does one find a place to rent a plot to raise chickens?

petals

Hatching
8 Years
May 26, 2011
Hello. After reading about the horrors of factory farming and the deception of "cage free" hen eggs, I would like to raise a few chickens for their eggs. The chickens should be allowed ample room to walk and peck and explore. It would only be for their eggs and they will live out their lives. Who can I contact for that?

It is hard to raise animals well (i.e. not have problems and losses) unless you are THERE with them. If you absolutely can't have them where you live now, you could talk with neighbors and see if you can work something out, but it is possible it may be something that has to wait til you are in circumstances that do allow chickenkeeping. In the meantime maybe you could find someone who already HAS chickens living that way, that you could buy eggs from?

The problems with a remote location ("away from you", I mean, not necessarily off in the wilderness
tongue.png
) include security, supervision, and the ease with which something can happen and you don't find out about it until it's snowballed into something much much bigger.

Good luck though, have fun,

Pat

I totally agree that living in the same place that your chickens do is key, but that being said I saw a posting on craigslist today for someone that is renting out space for chickens and gardens. I would try to get somewhere as close as possible as you should see your chickens twice a day.

if you can find someone....big if.......someone close to you who maybe wants chickens but doesn't have time etc so maybe a partner of sorts.

Are you not allowed to have animals where you live, or are you looking for a lot to put your chicken on alone? Hmm well I kinda did it under the radar, my house, I rented before buying it never said I couldn't have animals, and the city said it was ok where we live, so I just got them and started building a coop and that was that. However I have no idea how you would go about raising chickens somewhere else unless you found a farmer somewhere that would allow you to house your chickens on their property for a small fee, but I would think that would be difficult to do considering you would have to be out there everyday to collect eggs, clean coops, feed+water, and how would you treat a sick chicken so far away I don't know???

well if its any consolation you may find someone near you by going to the local farmers markets. you may not be able to keep your own chickens but at the very least you can go visit where yours come from. my neighbors are good examples. the Egg guy next door has 400 red layers. he is 88 years old and still has a pitcher pump in his kitchen is the house his grand father built. I go over and help when he can't do some of the heavy stuff. another one down the street has goats and then another has beef on the hoof. I have come to appreciate the ones you can touch and see vs. the store bought assumptions of who handles your food.

Maybe you ought to consider finding someone that sell free range organic eggs and buy from them. Probably a lot cheaper and since you are in it for the eggs, a lot easier.

If you don't have any way to raise chickens on your own property where you live, I would recommend visiting farmer's markets and poultry swaps to find local farmers who will sell you eggs from their backyard flocks.

.If you don't have any way to raise chickens on your own property where you live, I would recommend visiting farmer's markets and poultry swaps to find local farmers who will sell you eggs from their backyard flocks.

Maybe you ought to consider finding someone that sell free range organic eggs and buy from them. Probably a lot cheaper and since you are in it for the eggs, a lot easier.

I think that is an Excellent Idea!

Back
Top Bottom