How does one go about starting a new breed?

vetgirl00us

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Rome, GA
I had bought some eggs from a person that were supposed to be a purebred breed but apparently something else got in the coop. I hatched two eggs and both birds are very unique. They are like an oriental gamefowl version of the breed that has completely black legs, head, skin, meat, etc. Turns out I have a rooster - he is like nothing I've ever seen before. He is black skinned and even inside his mouth is a dark gray color where a normal chicken would have pink flesh. It resembles a Malay or a Sumatra. I'd like to perpetuate this unique bird so I'm thinking of crossing him over some khaki sumatra females or a Malay or O Shamo pullet when he matures. I was wanting to know how one goes about developing a new breed though.

Quote:
most likely he is Heterozygous for some genes, but luckely most of them are Dominant and that is a good thing...

I would start a line breeding program using the closest thing that resemble him you can get.. black sumatras are a good option...

the first thing you will do is get about 3 of those hens... hatch about 20 eggs.. separate best looking F1 females..(cull the rest) (they will be easy to sex linked at hatch)

back cross this F1s to him again...this time hatch more eggs..and keep the best looking B1(Backcross) Females.. but at this time you should start seen Fibromelanotic roosters, you can keep the best that resemble his gradpa/Dad....

at this point you should have 2 options... 1.keep breeding the best looking females to your unique rooster 2. cross the B1 Males to the B1 Hens... its up to you ...

good luck with your progect...
cool.png

Edit..
Quote:
you are dealing with 2 genes at work here, and they can only work combined...the dominant gene(Fibromelanotic) combined with recessive id+(responsible for colored shanks)

lucky for whatever you cross him the Hens will come out with Black skin,meat....

Last edited:
they were originally supposed to be Malay but the breeder also has sumatras and denizli longcrowers. I have khaki colored sumatra hens and they have dark shanks but nowhere near like what this young rooster has. His sister is black as coal too but she did not grow any feathers on her head or neck and she is 1/5th the size of the rooster. I will have to get a pic and post it if I can. The bird is colored weird too.

He breeder said they did not have any silkies but did not mention any Ayam Cemanis. I understand there are none in the US though.

There are very, very, very, very few in the US. Well, right now at this moment I don't know but a couple years ago there was at least one hen.

Back
Top Bottom