How does the buff gene work?

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
If I cross a barred roo with a buff hen what then? HOW does it work? I found a cool offspring calculator (with guitartists help!) but I don't see how the buff gets figured in. I crossed a BO roo with a speckled sussex hen and got these beautiful dark red roosters. BUt now I am wondering what will happen if I cross some of my other roos with a buff hen instead...

Ok, wasnt thinking too clearly... I know that all the offspring would be barred if the daddy was barred, but what happens with the base colour? What happens with the buff when you cross it with other colours?

If you look toward the bottom there is a link for Buff
wink.png
Apparently it functions differently than the other colors genes... or is more complicated or something...LOL Just when you thought it couldn't get MORE complicated, right?
wink.png
lau.gif

Yeah where's the link? Whoops, there's the link now thanks!

Buff is not one gene. It is combination of several genes to achieve the solid buff color. It IS complicated and may not be fully understood, may even be more than one way to create a solid buff bird. The only thing I know is that often Wheaten, Columbian and sometimes Dominant White is part of the make up.

Afraid to comment here as I am not sure, think the difference between buff and red is due to gold pigment intensifiers for reds such as Mahogany.

I have a pullet that is a cross between Buff Orpington and a WLR Cornish. She is solid light buff like a Buff, except she does have some white in tail if you look close. WLR have red intensifiers BTW.. same as in a RIR. Otherwise they would be "buff laced" as in buff laced Polish.

Last edited:
My only problem with the whole calculator thing is that if there is recessive genes in your birds breeding that you are unaware of, there is no way to put them in
sad.png
Not a problem with the calculator of course
tongue.png
But, I wonder... there must be a color that can be breed to certain other colors to pull out or show what is hidden.... maybe????

If you are unaware of it, then you cannot use it in the calculator anyways. Every gene basically has to be considered on a case by case basis so there cannot be a single color to test mate for recessives or what have you. However, ALL mutant genes are test mated against the wild type(the original animal's color and appearence) to figure out if said mutant is dominant, recessive, etc. However just because mutant A is dominant over wild type does not necessarily mean it is also dominant over another mutant..

What you describe is called test mating, which is done to see if a particular bird is carrying a recessive trait or is pure for a trait. Again this depends on what trait it is. If the gene of concern is a recessive white, you need to test mate the bird with a recessive white. This won't work if the gene of concern is a lavender- you would have to test mate the bird with a lavender.

It's standard to assume two parents are pure when giving an answer or using a product like the link. To try to factor in possibilities makes for a WAY too long post.. that is something I often worry about when answering a post on genetics.

"What do I get if I cross a black with a..." are far far far more complicated than it seems at all- first, WHAT black does the bird have? There are at least 3 completely different common genes that help with creating a black chicken....

Last edited:
Fun stuff...I tried the calculator for a buff roo x white hen and vice versa... it shows white roos and hens, chocolate roos and hens , and black roos and hens. Does this occur in real life? or do you also get buff ( or washed out dilute buff)?

Thanks Kev
lol.png
tongue.png
Yeah, that's the fun part though I guess
wink.png
Haha! At least when you're like me and don't mind a few recessive colors popping up now and again
wink.png
Probably not much fun if you are trying to breed true to a standard
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom